The Duck Thread

Once you hit that 20 week mark it seems like it takes forever. Boo just turned 22 weeks. :)

Congrats! I'm still waiting for Lottie my 20 week old Welsh Harlequin to start laying.

Woo hoo my swedish girl finally started laying! I didn't think she would ever lay. Found this beauty by their kiddie pool lol. :)

My girls are still not laying and they're 5.5 months old....

Hi all,
Have a question for you all, I've been racking my brains over the gender of my 2 campbells, one white one khaki.
I just can't seem to come up with an answer. I was told that they were both girls and 6 weeks old. I don't know if that is true as the white campbell was bigger and moulted her juvenile feathers about 2 weeks before our Khaki. I have just notices a tiny sort of curl thing going on and wondered if you all could help and let me know what you think.
I've tried voice sexing but the make the constant little quacking noise and then go full sqauk when calling me. I would be really upset if both boys as I have 4 year old twins girls who love their ducks and are anxiously waiting to collect eggs. As of yet there arent any eggs and I've worked it out that if the white campbell was 2 weeks older then she should be around 19 weeks today.
I was very specific when talking to the lady from wherr the ducks came from and was texting her for a couple of weeks before collecting our ducks.
What if one of them is female and one male? Can I keep them still? What would I do with tell eggs as I only wanted 2 ducks so wouldn't want lots of hatchling! HELP I'm going mad! X

HELP

I'm knew on this site so forgive me if I've not posted correctly.

So... I have 2 campbells one white one brown.
From my calculations from the age I was given then the white one should be 19 weeks and the brown one I think was 2 weeks younger due to the size and time difference between moulting their juvenile feathers.
I've been going mad since I've noticed a little curl on both their tails so I've attached some pics. I am in literally 2 minds here as to their gender!! The brown khaki has mostly moulted now and her new feathers are growing back along with this little curl but from looking at pics of male khakis Im thinking female and hoping female too, the white one also has this little random feather but am really hoping female aswel.
I was in contact with the lady I bought them from and was very specific about having girls for my twin girls to collect eggs from etc and confirmed with her before picking them up that they were girls. However I'm not so sure; obviously no eggs as yet and thinking the the oldest they could be would be 19 weeks.
Can anyone help?? X

HELP

I'm knew on this site so forgive me if I've not posted correctly.

So... I have 2 campbells one white one brown.
From my calculations from the age I was given then the white one should be 19 weeks and the brown one I think was 2 weeks younger due to the size and time difference between moulting their juvenile feathers.
I've been going mad since I've noticed a little curl on both their tails so I've attached some pics. I am in literally 2 minds here as to their gender!! The brown khaki has mostly moulted now and her new feathers are growing back along with this little curl but from looking at pics of male khakis Im thinking female and hoping female too, the white one also has this little random feather but am really hoping female aswel.
I was in contact with the lady I bought them from and was very specific about having girls for my twin girls to collect eggs from etc and confirmed with her before picking them up that they were girls. However I'm not so sure; obviously no eggs as yet and thinking the the oldest they could be would be 19 weeks.
Can anyone help?? X
They both look to have curly feathers I'm afraid. You can also tell by voice, see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/easy-ways-to-tell-the-gender-of-your-duck

edited because it didn't show me the newer posts or photos
1f60c.png

I'm having a hard time seeing in the photos if there is a slight upturn or a definite curl a boy would have. If they are both "honk" quacking they could still be girls. They are much louder than males. At least mine are. Mine are way over 19 weeks and still not laying. So it could just take longer. If they are both boys there is no reason you can't keep them. They will not hatch babies if it's a boy and a girl without sitting on eggs which is up to you.

Hi all,
Have a question for you all, I've been racking my brains over the gender of my 2 campbells, one white one khaki.
I just can't seem to come up with an answer. I was told that they were both girls and 6 weeks old. I don't know if that is true as the white campbell was bigger and moulted her juvenile feathers about 2 weeks before our Khaki. I have just notices a tiny sort of curl thing going on and wondered if you all could help and let me know what you think.
I've tried voice sexing but the make the constant little quacking noise and then go full sqauk when calling me. I would be really upset if both boys as I have 4 year old twins girls who love their ducks and are anxiously waiting to collect eggs. As of yet there arent any eggs and I've worked it out that if the white campbell was 2 weeks older then she should be around 19 weeks today.
I was very specific when talking to the lady from wherr the ducks came from and was texting her for a couple of weeks before collecting our ducks.
What if one of them is female and one male? Can I keep them still? What would I do with tell eggs as I only wanted 2 ducks so wouldn't want lots of hatchling! HELP I'm going mad! X

Last edited:
Thank you am and a and chick girl,
I did contact the lady I bought them from yesterday and she has said she could swap them but even the idea of getting rid of the BOYS because the whole egg thing makes me feel so so guilty.
Big softy and have grown to love them a loT, she said the boys would be happy on her farm chasing the girls but I'm worried about them, they have a lovely little life here.
I am so so disappointed though, it was really something i wanted to experience with my daughters in the morning out to collect eggs etc :(
I don't know how 2 new ducks would settle and would they be as friendly now? The boys/girls? Seem so settled and are very friendly and call for me all day! Would I be riddled with guilt and end up with 2 girls that yes lay eggs but may not be interested in us at all!! Just lost now totally!
Thanks for replying xxx

I have a mallard female and welsh harlequin female and about a week ago one or both of them started laying eggs!!!! They are about 23 weeks now. My husband really wants them to sit and hatch them so we have left the eggs. There are 8 as of this morning. We have seen both our girls sitting on the nest at different times but as soon as we come up to their pen they are all out and about. Any idea when we should give up and remove the eggs if neither of them goes broody? I caught my mallard yesterday making a little nest in the edge of the woods yesterday when they were out of the pen. I'm afraid they will never go broody since they all like to stick to close together always.
Also anyone know what a mallard/welshie mix would look like???

I have a mallard female and welsh harlequin female and about a week ago one or both of them started laying eggs!!!! They are about 23 weeks now. My husband really wants them to sit and hatch them so we have left the eggs. There are 8 as of this morning. We have seen both our girls sitting on the nest at different times but as soon as we come up to their pen they are all out and about. Any idea when we should give up and remove the eggs if neither of them goes broody? I caught my mallard yesterday making a little nest in the edge of the woods yesterday when they were out of the pen. I'm afraid they will never go broody since they all like to stick to close together always.
Also anyone know what a mallard/welshie mix would look like???
You don't say but I am guessing that you also have at least one male duck also? If the eggs are fertile and all other circumstances are suitable to the female she will build a nest, collect a clutch of eggs and sit them to hatching. However ducks are pretty notorious about collecting their eggs and not sitting them. If you think they are fertile and want ducklings you may be better off incubating them yourself. As for when to give up and remove the eggs...I am not absolutely certain but I have read that at about 10 days after lay they begin to not be viable.

You don't say but I am guessing that you also have at least one male duck also? If the eggs are fertile and all other circumstances are suitable to the female she will build a nest, collect a clutch of eggs and sit them to hatching. However ducks are pretty notorious about collecting their eggs and not sitting them. If you think they are fertile and want ducklings you may be better off incubating them yourself. As for when to give up and remove the eggs...I am not absolutely certain but I have read that at about 10 days after lay they begin to not be viable.

Ha oh yes we have a very 'active' mallard drake and non-active pekin drake. I may collect all the eggs then in another day is so if they don't sit and let them start again. I don't want the eggs to start rotting or anything in their house
1f61d.png
1f637.png
. Maybe in the spring if they still haven't taken to sitting we will try to incubate
1f914.png
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom