The Duck Thread

@Ihaveducks

u will need a helper to ensure the safety and proper medication of your bird.

1. Have your medication measures and the syringe prepared before taking any action.
2. Catch and restrain the bird.
3. Have your helper gently pry the bird’s beak open.

4. Be sure that you understand where the medication-filled syringe should be inserted.
The opening in the center at the back of the tongue is the trachea – nothing should ever go in there!

5. Gently insert the syringe alongside the tongue, and inject the medication slowly to ensure that it does not spill over into the trachea.

* Please note that images are courtesy of Craig Hopkins, http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/peafowl.htm

So the duck I rescued from the pond that I thought would end up being a boy made a quacking honk sound today. If it ends up being a girl I officially have the opposite of luck everyone else seems to have
1f602.png

This was from when I first got it. Thought the green bill was a giveaway and it sounded raspy but I'm guessing it could have been its baby voice still.
Beautiful! And lucky you
smile.png

Yes, unfortunately it is liquid. I managed to do it tonight with the bread again but he really does hate it and it takes waaaaay too long! He also spits some of it out. It's not ideal as he needs the correct amount. I'm going back to the vets to get his stitches out tomorrow, I'll ask if they know anymore ways! Thank you for replying.
Does he like peas? Can you put it in some peas and mush them up??

We picked up 9 i ducks Saturday from a man that had ducks and other farm birds. Was a small swap meet by the hwy. We think they all are girls. He said they was hatched in Feb. He got them from the over stock from some poltyer place of the Internet. We think they are younger then that. One still had baby fluff on her chest. A ny way a couple of them have a case of angel wind and its bad. So yesterday i cut as high as I dare to cut to take off that weight of the joint/nuckil. Then in a few days i will wrap them up. I am giving them niacin in there water and apple cider vinegar. Not together of course. Im not sure if you can mix the too. So does this sound like im on the right track with these new flock members? I dont have pictures of them uet but i will post them soon and you guys can tell me what i have.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm thinking boys too!
sad.png

I actually have no idea if the white one is a campbell or not, I was told when I bought them that she had 2 girl campbells one white and one brown! The white one has always been bigger but I thought it was down to them being about 2 weeks apart in age! Do you think pekin? Oh dear what a mess! Lol
Thr brown one has stayed brown the whole time! Moulted juvenile feathers but remained the same colour which has confused me!
I may have witnessed the brown one attempting to mate with my dog yesterday!!! They live harmoniously and the brown one tried to jump on my dogs back with wings flapping! My doggy didn't seem to care much luckily!
I've decided to keep them anyway but still hoping for a little miracle!
They have brought a lot more joy to our home then expected.
There is a white campbell breed so it could be. I don't really know. I had to look it up
smile.png
I think keeping them is a good decision. I've never heard of one trying to mate with a dog. I'd watch that closely. Could be very dangerous for the dog. Males will jump on top of other males to show dominance so maybe that's what it was??

We picked up 9 i ducks Saturday from a man that had ducks and other farm birds. Was a small swap meet by the hwy. We think they all are girls. He said they was hatched in Feb. He got them from the over stock from some poltyer place of the Internet. We think they are younger then that. One still had baby fluff on her chest. A ny way a couple of them have a case of angel wind and its bad. So yesterday i cut as high as I dare to cut to take off that weight of the joint/nuckil. Then in a few days i will wrap them up. I am giving them niacin in there water and apple cider vinegar. Not together of course. Im not sure if you can mix the too. So does this sound like im on the right track with these new flock members? I dont have pictures of them uet but i will post them soon and you guys can tell me what i have.
I've never heard of cutting for angel wing. Here's a great thread on wrapping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644239/angel-wing-in-ducks-how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial Good luck. I hope they all turn out ok.

There is a white campbell breed so it could be.  I don't really know.  I had to look it up:)   I think keeping them is a good decision.  I've never heard of one trying to mate with a dog.  I'd watch that closely.  Could be very dangerous for the dog.  Males will jump on top of other males to show dominance so maybe that's what it was??

I've never heard of cutting for angel wing.  Here's a great thread on wrapping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644239/angel-wing-in-ducks-how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial  Good luck.  I hope they all turn out ok.
thank you.. with out knowing there age i was doing what i though was right. I did read in adult ducks there ia not much you can do for them. In chicks you can wrap them and they would go back to normal in a few days or a week. I thought taking the weight off that joint being young or old would help. We will see. They will grow right or stay angel wing. Im going today to pick up wrap for them. Pink athletic wrap..
1f604.png

thank you.. with out knowing there age i was doing what i though was right. I did read in adult ducks there ia not much you can do for them. In chicks you can wrap them and they would go back to normal in a few days or a week. I thought taking the weight off that joint being young or old would help. We will see. They will grow right or stay angel wing. Im going today to pick up wrap for them. Pink athletic wrap..
1f604.png
Hope it works and congrats on your new babies!!

Hey guys recently one of my drakes has started getting aggressive. He chases the kids and myself on occasion. We don't run and we aren't afraid of him lol but he has also started being aggressive to my other drake. They were fine before so I'm not sure why. Him and my oldest hen have mated now and she has just started laying eggs. Could this have something to do with it. I have quite a few juvenile females but they haven't reached maturity yet. Wondering if that could be it too? We have 3 drakes altogether and he is fine with our rouen just the ancona drake he has taken a disliking to. Any thoughts?

Show and tell. These are a few of my new ducks. Type unknown. Can you tell me what they are.? One of the blacks has a puff on the back of its head but its not very developed like the the one with the white puff.

I dont understand these ducks. They eat like they are never going to eat again. This confuses me. My runners never have acted this way. Is it because they are farm ducks and just another duck in the flock where they had to fight for ever bit of food with 100's of others and they have that mind set here with there new family? They eat and eat and eat till there lower neckline looks like breast. Then they eat more. I have to feed in different places so my runners can eat. Any ideas on this woul be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom