The Duck Thread

Right?!
1f606.png
1f602.png

I am so excited, we just ordered our first batch of ducks from Metzer Farms. We will have 4 Blue Swedish, 4 Rouen and 4 Golden 300 on the way October 17 to arrive on the 19th! Brooder is all ready and we are beginning the duck coop this weekend so it will be ready when it's time to transfer the little ones out of the brooder. We found a coop on one of the other threads that we are going to copy. I can't wait to get my new babies. I hope Gabby, my Pekin will be happy about the additions once they are old enough to be together.

We are interested in egg production, ergo the Golden 300s. I have done some research on how long I can keep eggs room temp before I have to put them in the fridge. Most of what I have seen is that if I don't wash the eggs, I can keep them in a cool dry place for a couple weeks before I have to refridgerate them. Can I get some advice for some of you experts out there?

Thanks! Will post some pics of the new babies when they get here!

Thanks. Took him out again today and he is like a changed duck lol. We have a special needs drake that he still pecks at a bit but other then that he is being the sweetheart we remember. He is even being nice to the ducklings. I'm going to give it a week and if all goes well I'll let him stay out.
smile.png
So happy to read this!
fl.gif

I've been raising ducklings with two Mother hens for the past 6 months. It's been so entertaining watching them forage around with their bewildered chicken mamas.

The hens seem to wonder why their little flat-billed babies love water so much. :)

love.gif

Framing of our ducks enclosure is finally done and their stall of course. Just need to wire it now and put the doors on. Then put a roof and sides on their stall.

I made a Dutch door for them so only a19" tall opening will be there during the day when they are out. Figured it would make it just that much harder for a bird of prey to get to them. Well slower at least. Can't wait for it to be 100% done and have them moved out of the chicken's area.

I am so excited, we just ordered our first batch of ducks from Metzer Farms.  We will have 4 Blue Swedish, 4 Rouen and 4 Golden 300 on the way October 17 to arrive on the 19th! Brooder is all ready and we are beginning the duck coop this weekend so it will be ready when it's time to transfer the little ones out of the brooder.  We found a coop on one of the other threads that we are going to copy.  I can't wait to get my new babies.  I hope Gabby, my Pekin will be happy about the additions once they are old enough to be together.  

We are interested in egg production, ergo the Golden 300s.  I have done some research on how long I can keep eggs room temp before I have to put them in the fridge.  Most of what I have seen is that if I don't wash the eggs, I can keep them in a cool dry place for a couple weeks before I have to refridgerate them.  Can I get some advice for some of you experts out there?

Thanks!  Will post some pics of the new babies when they get here!

I don't have the answers to your question but we also ordered a blue swedish and a golden 300 from metzer. We got a rouen as well. They are 4 weeks old now and so sweet and healthy. I'm really happy with our purchase. :)

Back
Top Bottom