The Duck Thread

He passed away this past Feb a month before he was going to be 12. Well it may depend on the breed too My Muscovy is the one going on 6 and he isn't quite as aggressive with breeding as my Runner drake who is 6 months old lol But a close second.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif
Haha, okay!

This was Ernie at around 8-9 yrs old . I have one of his females still and she will be 10 next spring.

900x900px-LL-6dea7202_42327_img_2411.jpeg
He was beautiful! Was he a wildtype Muscovy?

I'm not sure I just got back with him about an hour ago and it's so windy and cold here I havnt got to see or look at him to much, I will try and get some better pictures tommarrow when the wind dies down. And they got them from tractor supply idk if hatcherys have Pekin ducks

Last edited:
He seems to be doing a lot better. I think he just filled himself up on water for some reason. His walking is better now as well. I don't understand it! Just happy he's doing well. Does anyone know when it's time to take the heating light out of their cage? Or should I wait until more adult feathers are there?
So glad to hear he is doing better.

That is great news. Are they hot [panting?] at 2 weeks temp in brooder should be around 80 and 5* lower each week there after. Make sure they can get out from under the heat lamp also. As they grow you may have to go to larger brooder.
X2

This was Ernie at around 8-9 yrs old . I have one of his females still and she will be 10 next spring.

900x900px-LL-6dea7202_42327_img_2411.jpeg
love.gif

They are adorable. Is mama Welshie taking good care of them?  What I have done is used the plastic fencing [Lowes] it comes in dark green and orange.  It works to keep my flock separate from the moms and babies.  If the one mama Mallard isn't interested why not just keep her on the boys side as long as they don't brutalize her with over mating.  That may keep the drakes on the other side from mom and babies. 

Momma welshie left them for a few hours Sunday so me and the husband decided to put them in a brooder in the shed with the heat lamp. She wasn't very interested in getting them under her to keep them warm
1f615.png
She didn't even bat an eye when we took them out of the house, all 5 of them were stacked under one wing.
We ended up selling them yesterday (was always the plan to sell them and keep a couple) but the couple wanted all 5 of them so who am I to object to keeping them together! We can always have more! Maybe our Momma's will be a little older and wiser in the spring and it won't be so cold either!
One last pic of our first babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom