The Duck Thread

frow.gif

How do you prevent frostbite?
Make sure they have good ventilation inside their house a way for the humid air to escape they make alot of humidity. Don't let them sit in water over night. and make sure they can't climb into their water buckets. My Muscovy's would climb into their heated buckets so I had to put a piece of scrap wood across half of it to keep them from doing it.

Make sure they have good ventilation inside their house a way for the humid air to escape they make alot of humidity. Don't let them sit in water over night. and make sure they can't climb into their water buckets. My Muscovy's would climb into their heated buckets so I had to put a piece of scrap wood across half of it to keep them from doing it.
Okay thank you! Do you think my coop as enough ventilation? The ventilation is at the top of the coop in blue. It's the same thing on the back side of the coop.

How do you prevent frostbite?
I monitor the ducks, don't leave them out long enough for it to be a concern, I place bedding - straw or shavings - down over any ice or snow in their day pen....

For Muscovies, I think some folks put ointment on the caruncles. Miss Lydia may have some insight. I cannot tag people for some reason....

Last edited:
I monitor the ducks, don't leave them out long enough for it to be a concern, I place bedding - straw or shavings - down over any ice or snow in their day pen....

For Muscovies, I think some folks put ointment on the caruncles. Miss Lydia may have some insight. I cannot tag people for some reason....
I have put vaseline on my scovy's fleshy parts yes. 2 still got some frost bite but not bad. I think it mainly comes from dipping their heads into the water buckets and the frigid air hitting the flesh after they come up. I watch mine closely through out the day once they really start to look uncomfortable they all are herded inside. Usually when temps get into low 20's with wind chill making it lower.They have all kinds of places outside to get into out of the wind with shaving inside.

Back
Top Bottom