The Duck Thread

sorry I may have double posted new to site and I can't seem to start a new thread ,
Anyway I wanted to ask a quick question, I have 2 ducks one male and one female , my female got attacked by a fox the other day and I had to spend 800 pounds on her in the vet she's very lucky to be alive and her neck was horrendous, I've had to separate her because she has to be in a sterile environment where there is no risk of infection , I thought she seemed to be getting better so I let her out in the garden with her mate but he keeps biting her neck where the stitches are and won't let go she bites him back and they kinda get each other's necks she seemed to be quacking loads when he was doing it and I had to keep separating them I don't know why he has suddenly turned on her I'm not sure if he's being nasty or not maybe it's because her scent has come off when we have kept her in the house , what can I do to stop this , they were so inseparable and got along like a house on fire they were ducklings together too

Thankyou for your help
Tanith

Welcome to BYC!

Not sure why he's being so aggressive, but you need to keep them apart until her neck has healed.

-Kathy

He looks more swollen than he did a week ago, and now it looks like both side are affected. Might be a good time to consult with the vet. -Kathy
Really? I feel like it looks better.:/ If you guys think I should, remember what the vet did say when I brought Merlin there.
What did they vet say when they say him? -Kathy

i have kept them both apart and am carrying on until I think it's safe for her to go back in the vet said to keep them apart but didn't say anything about them fighting, it's really sad I hope they will go back to the way they were

Really? I feel like it looks better.
hmm.png
If you guys think I should, remember what the vet did say when I brought Merlin there.

If that's a before and after... That looks great! You don't ALWAYS need a vet... No matter what Kathy says
lol.png
hide.gif

Well the Vet thinks his oil glands are blocked up, because one the other ducks stepped on his cheek or was smashed/pushed into something which is causing the swelling/puffy cheek. Do ducks have oil glands on their face? It kinda makes sense.
What did they vet say when they say him? -Kathy
Kathy, my previous quote is what the vet originally said... :/ Not a waterfowl or poultry vet, so he has been having to make do... my opinion, I think those need to be drained out...
It's not a before and after picture. Here is when he first got it.
I gotta agree with Kathy, he looks more swollen now than he did before... that's why I commented last night... are the swollen spots still squishy or hard? I don't know how you can accomplish it, but I think that infection needs to be removed physically before it is going to heal...

Kathy, my previous quote is what the vet originally said...
hmm.png

Not a waterfowl or poultry vet, so he has been having to make do... my opinion, I think those need to be drained out...
I gotta agree with Kathy, he looks more swollen now than he did before... that's why I commented last night... are the swollen spots still squishy or hard? I don't know how you can accomplish it, but I think that infection needs to be removed physically before it is going to heal...
The left (the first infected cheek) side feels hard and squishy, and the right ( the second infected cheek) side feels squishy. With a needle?

Last edited:
Metzer keeps a list of vets that they know of (through personal experience or customer testimony) specializing in waterfowl on their site. The only one in WI is:

Dr. Paul Gibbons at Animal Emergency Center & Specialty Services in Glendale. His number is 414-540-6710 and he is ABVP certified.

Don't know how close that is to you or if they would help over the phone, but I hope this can help.

Also if they are far away, perhaps they can recommend another vet close to you that they can work with or that they would trust.

sorry I may have double posted new to site and I can't seem to start a new thread ,
Anyway I wanted to ask a quick question, I have 2 ducks one male and one female , my female got attacked by a fox the other day and I had to spend 800 pounds on her in the vet she's very lucky to be alive and her neck was horrendous, I've had to separate her because she has to be in a sterile environment where there is no risk of infection , I thought she seemed to be getting better so I let her out in the garden with her mate but he keeps biting her neck where the stitches are and won't let go she bites him back and they kinda get each other's necks she seemed to be quacking loads when he was doing it and I had to keep separating them I don't know why he has suddenly turned on her I'm not sure if he's being nasty or not maybe it's because her scent has come off when we have kept her in the house , what can I do to stop this , they were so inseparable and got along like a house on fire they were ducklings together too

Thankyou for your help
Tanith

Just a thought, if you could possibly bring him in also, crated next to her, but unable to touch her, maybe they could reunite more easily?

How old are they? Do they mate? Maybe he just missed her, but she isn't in "the mood" :D

Back
Top Bottom