The Duck Thread

I think we all just breathed a sigh of relief...
Yes we did.
smile.png

white-faced whistling-duck (Dendrocygna viduata) found this in the garden yesterday worrying our chickens,
they were all stood in a tight group watching it, to me the duck looked like it just wanted some company, but as it got close to the chickens they all ran off, the old araucana cock was definitely scared, even the goose was unhappy, after it started to follow it about, it would stop and change direction when the duck approached, and hissed loudly, which i havent heard it do since the summer after we were given it, today things seem much calmer, the duck has a ring but cant make out if theres a number, if its still here in a couple of days i will try to catch it in the night, and will try to track down the owner.

white-faced whistling-duck (Dendrocygna viduata) found this in the garden yesterday worrying our chickens,
they were all stood in a tight group watching it, to me the duck looked like it just wanted some company, but as it got close to the chickens they all ran off, the old araucana cock was definitely scared, even the goose was unhappy, after it started to follow it about, it would stop and change direction when the duck approached, and hissed loudly, which i havent heard it do since the summer after we were given it, today things seem much calmer, the duck has a ring but cant make out if theres a number, if its still here in a couple of days i will try to catch it in the night, and will try to track down the owner.

So pretty !

Beautiful! I love the head. I bet the others were yelling STRANGER, lol. Good luck finding the owner, I'm sure they are missing it.

Beautiful! I love the head. I bet the others were yelling STRANGER, lol. Good luck finding the owner, I'm sure they are missing it.
looked for it this evening to try to check the ring, found it next to the little bantam with her chicks this was after she chased it off this afternoon when it got close, i put some hay near the door, and put it back in the coop but it went straight outside, just checked in the darkness and its back next to the bantam, all seems quiet, there is a barrier in front of the area to stop the other chickens eating her food, which she can get through, so im surprised to see that the duck did too, the gaps are only 70mm (3" ish) apart.

Last edited:
Looks like mama hen is a good warming spot for your visitor.@Selsley Is there any writing on the band it looks similar to the ones i have used and they don't come with info. As friendly as it is and comfortable it is with your flock I say it belongs to someone who did clip wings. And it flew off.

Back
Top Bottom