The Duck Thread

Also, with Cayugas you get those dark grey and black eggs. As they get older they lay lighter shades of grey eggs and my God-daughter says they are running out of toner.
"toner" that's a good one
big_smile.png

My drakes have been having a field day with my WH :-( It is a mallard and pekin and her neck is getting torn up, I hate to separate them since they spend their days out on the pond and separation would mean someone was locked in the pen all day. I also have a mallard duck who seems to be un-affected by the whole game, the pekin does not try to mate her and the mallard is quick and successful with her. any thoughts on wrapping her neck (LOOSELY) with vet-tape to prevent them breaking the skin and pulling out more feathers?

My drakes have been having a field day with my WH :-( It is a mallard and pekin and her neck is getting torn up, I hate to separate them since they spend their days out on the pond and separation would mean someone was locked in the pen all day. I also have a mallard duck who seems to be un-affected by the whole game, the pekin does not try to mate her and the mallard is quick and successful with her. any thoughts on wrapping her neck (LOOSELY) with vet-tape to prevent them breaking the skin and pulling out more feathers?
They do choose their favorites. I'm not sure of a wrap. I always separate them to give my girls a break.

My only concern with getting rouens is that I guess it is common for people to sell them as rouens when they're actually mallards? I can't have them flying !! What other friendly breeds are closest to the same size as a pekin :/

My only concern with getting rouens is that I guess it is common for people to sell them as rouens when they're actually mallards? I can't have them flying !! What other friendly breeds are closest to the same size as a pekin :/

If you're worried about the pekins beating up on smaller ducks such as mallards I have a Mallard drake in with my pekins and Swedish and they get along just fine, the Swedes chase the Mallard more than the Pekins but he's not afraid to chase back and I've seen him beat a Pekin drake.

Quote:
Left my boys in drake jail this morning, my mallard female took off across the yard like normal, then i went to look to see where she went.... finally found her camouflaged into a nest at the base of a tree. My other female once I got her out was just playing in the leaves around the pen. Hopefully they enjoy this drake free day!

Back
Top Bottom