The Duck Thread

I can't take it anymore!!! I have to go home to see if I have 'lings yet!!!!
wee.gif

@Julie Bird
 (plugs ears)
SCREEEEEEEMMMMING EEEEEEEEE ALL OVER THE PLACE. LOOK AT HER. SHE'S MAKING EYE CONTACT WITH ME.

I love you guys. Got a laugh from your predictions. Why do ducklings and ducks do this to me? Thank you for the tag
1f604.png

Your welcome! I saw a duckling and thought immediately of you :p
I've got a cute duckie in my profile too, if you wanna check it out ;)

Did you contact ideal again and let them know, how long were they in transit?  Maybe they are like Muscovy ducklings hard to ship.  I am very sorry for your loss and for the chicks too hope the other 2 pull through. 

Yeah maybe. I did call ideal and they'd send them again if I want. Going to see if I can pay to have it overnight instead of priority or pay for a heat thing. They are Bantam ducks so maybe the size plays a roll. The chicks that died were Cornish and Saipian jungle fowl and Im not sure how hardy they are. Still one Cornish alive but struggling. The three ducks seem great so far. Wish I knew if one of them was the male.

SCREEEEEEEMMMMING EEEEEEEEE ALL OVER THE PLACE. LOOK AT HER. SHE'S MAKING EYE CONTACT WITH ME.

I love you guys. Got a laugh from your predictions. Why do ducklings and ducks do this to me? Thank you for the tag
1f604.png

:gig

:D

Yeah maybe. I did call ideal and they'd send them again if I want. Going to see if I can pay to have it overnight instead of priority or pay for a heat thing. They are Bantam ducks so maybe the size plays a roll. The chicks that died were Cornish and Saipian jungle fowl and Im not sure how hardy they are. Still one Cornish alive but struggling. The three ducks seem great so far. Wish I knew if one of them was the male.

Ideal has always been nice with us. Hmm, maybe. :fl :fl :fl I hope all the rest do well for you.

Yes ducks need the xtra niacin. I use nutritional yeast- add 1 tablespoon per cup of feed.
It helps prevent leg troubles
It is interesting, I did some reading on nutritional vs brewers' yeasts. Brewers' yeast is actually naturally healthier since it feeds on grains which have lots of vitamins and minerals in them whereas nutritional yeast is grown on molasses which has none. Both are then deactivated through heat and are dried out (why you don't want to use bread yeast - it is still active). Nutritional yeast is often fortified though with additional vitamins after the fact (mostly B12). For the ducks, niacin is the important nutrient, and it is inherent in the yeast, so it is probably the same either way. I tried it both ways, and I prefer to add niacin (not time release or no flush) to their water with their probiotics and electrolytes and then feed them the crumble straight. You pretty much have to go to a health food store to get the niacin now since most of what is in the vitamin aisle of supermarkets / grocery stores is either time release or no-flush (make sure to get Nicotinic acid, the no-flush kind is also called Nicotinamide and does not provide the benefit to the ducks). To me the yeast is messier and they get it in their nares and that is just one extra thing to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom