The Duck Thread

Yes they are!!! No I haven't. They seem to be a few days old. How old do they have to be before you can give them a supervised bath? Alrighty here come the pics...

The first two pics are of Hopscotch and the last two are of Daffy :D

im am not an expert, my guess on the cutie w/black is a magpie and the other cutie (all yellow) w/darker cheeks looks like a fawn & white runner.

Last edited:
Super cute.  All my ducks have come to me in the mail: So they hatch Sun/Mon and ship Monday and I usually get them by Thursday morning.  They get all of Thursday to get their bearings, learn where the food is and run around.  If everything is good, I will let them swim Friday or Saturday in leg high water. (so day 5 or 6) a day or two earlier would probably be fine, but let them settle for 24hrs after they arrive to make sure all is well.  I measure the water at 100F with a thermometer so they don't gain or lose a lot of heat, they have to come out by the time the water reaches 90F.  If all of them are competent, they might get deeper water.  Those are my rules, but my ducks have come out great.  Also they are 100% supervised.  Even blinking must be done at double speed. (maybe I'm too paranoid...)  After their swim, they can get towel dried or blow dried.  I usually just set them under the heat lamp.  If they can't preen their fuzz dry in 5 minutes, I help them, but usually they can. (I live in Montana where it is very arid so water evaporates pretty quickly).

Awesome! I will let them try out swimming on Friday then :yiipchick Yeah I live down in the south so I'm not sure if they will dry quickly or not lol!

im am not an expert, my guess on the cutie w/black is a magpie and the other cutie (all yellow) w/darker cheeks looks like a fawn & white runner.
Awesome-sauce! Do those breeds lay good??? Man I really hope I got lucky and got two females. I would hate to get two Drake's :hit U would be ok with one drake and one hen though...

runners lay very well about 300 eggs ea yr. the magpie, im not positive but i think they lay well also. I believe the runners are the best layers and a few of mine are very broody also.
if you ended up w/2 drakes that would be ok to keep them together, but if you want eggs that would be difficult to achieve.... tee hee

runners lay very well about 300 eggs ea yr. the magpie, im not positive but i think they lay well also. I believe the runners are the best layers and a few of mine are very broody also.
if you ended up w/2 drakes that would be ok to keep them together, but if you want eggs that would be difficult to achieve.... tee hee

:lau yeah! My dad said if they are both Drake's he will buy me more :yesss: I would be fine with more lol! 300 eggs... Wow!!! That's a bunch. That's kinda like my Leghorns chickens :)

Last edited:

:lau yeah! My dad said if they are both Drake's he will buy me more :yesss: I would be fine with more lol!

:thumbsup

OH, NO... I think Chickenmama has the "duck bug"
I started w/2 f/w's and now have 21 ducks, 3 ducklings and about 20 viable duck and chicken eggs in my 2 bators....

Back
Top Bottom