The Duck Thread

Hey @EmilyP what breed is mama duck in those pics? The are adorable!

So my three amigos are doing well. And my water catcher is working amazing! I'll have to switch waterer soon but they can still easily clean nostrils. Hoping I have 2 girls and a boy but we'll see. So adorable!

The EI don't seem to be getting sick so hopefully it was just something about her and not environment. This last month has been rough but at least I have learned a bunch.

Pretty sure we broke the broody in my mallard when we moved nest. I left it in pen while out of town and she hasn't laid an egg or sat on them since. Can I get rid of them now? She's still chasing anyone that gets close.

And both of my young Muscovy are going broody I think. Well one for sure. She has a nest in the middle of a 20 ft long cement culvert that was left on our property. Only comes out to eat and drink. I can't get to her at all. Thinking about closing up ends at night to protect her. My other girl made her nest on chicken coop floor and has spent the night in there the last 3 days. She's a good girl lol.
I'd leave both end open that way she has a way of escape if something comes into either end. Go ahead and take the Mallard eggs if she isn't sitting on them. Adorable babies.

These little ones will fly do you plan on a covered run? Or clipped wings?

I'd leave both end open that way she has a way of escape if something comes into  either end. Go ahead and take the Mallard eggs if she isn't sitting on them.  Adorable babies.

These little ones will fly do you plan on a covered run?  Or clipped wings?

I'm not sure yet. I do have a covered run right now but I was almost thinking about keeping these guys in a separate house/run with the other Bantam/call ducks when they are older. I'm nervous about clipping wings because I've never done it. I know they grow back at least if I screw it up lol. If I do clip what age should I do it?

\
I'm not sure yet. I do have a covered run right now but I was almost thinking about keeping these guys in a separate house/run with the other Bantam/call ducks when they are older. I'm nervous about clipping wings because I've never done it. I know they grow back at least if I screw it up lol. If I do clip what age should I do it?
You can clip as soon as the feathers are finished growing. The middle part will be clear, not blue anymore. Do you know where to clip the wings?
Also, you probably need two people to clip. One to hold, the other to clip. Just easier that way
wink.png

Hey @EmilyP what breed is mama duck in those pics? The are adorable!

So my three amigos are doing well. And my water catcher is working amazing! I'll have to switch waterer soon but they can still easily clean nostrils. Hoping I have 2 girls and a boy but we'll see. So adorable!

The EI don't seem to be getting sick so hopefully it was just something about her and not environment. This last month has been rough but at least I have learned a bunch.

Pretty sure we broke the broody in my mallard when we moved nest. I left it in pen while out of town and she hasn't laid an egg or sat on them since. Can I get rid of them now? She's still chasing anyone that gets close.

And both of my young Muscovy are going broody I think. Well one for sure. She has a nest in the middle of a 20 ft long cement culvert that was left on our property. Only comes out to eat and drink. I can't get to her at all. Thinking about closing up ends at night to protect her. My other girl made her nest on chicken coop floor and has spent the night in there the last 3 days. She's a good girl lol.

Mama is a Welsh Harlequin named Daffy! (Dad is a Pekin for 5 of them the other 3 are full mallards)

@yoopergirl1211. Those babies are precious. Can not wait to see them feathered out. Will they be the size of a call? I'm glad the other EI are not showing signs of illness.

Linda

You can clip as soon as the feathers are finished growing. The middle part will be clear, not blue anymore. Do you know where to clip the wings?
Also, you probably need two people to clip. One to hold, the other to clip. Just easier that way
wink.png
LL
yep get someone to hold for you for the fist time after that you'll be a pro. Once you clip they won't grow back till next molt so it's usually from year to year they need clipped. Or that is the way it is with my scovy's. First time I clipped which was way back in 2004 I printed this diagram and put it in the duck house I was a nervous wreck. I did it and no one bleed to death whew was that a relief.

I swear I'm never going out of town again. My KC hen that got stuck in netting a couple weeks ago and had foamy eye after has an infected eye now. Almost cant see out of it. I cleaned it all up and put that eye medicine on it. Ill do it again when I get home. I can't wait for spring to be over with. She's looking rough. I either need to get more adult call duck/Bantam females for my two boys or lock up (again) or get rid of the boys. Everyone is too big for them so they team up and just end up pulling out my girls feathers.

I swear I'm never going out of town again. My KC hen that got stuck in netting a couple weeks ago and had foamy eye after has an infected eye now. Almost cant see out of it. I cleaned it all up and put that eye medicine on it. Ill do it again when I get home. I can't wait for spring to be over with. She's looking rough. I either need to get more adult call duck/Bantam females for my two boys or lock up (again) or get rid of the boys. Everyone is too big for them so they team up and just end up pulling out my girls feathers.
Are your scovy drakes going after your KC? Be sure to do the eye ointment before bed and take away food and water so she can't soak her head over night that will help keep the ointment on longer. Gosh drakes can sure be a handful. I am so thankful my boys have been good so far this year. My scovy only mates with is 4 female scovys and my Runner drakes mates with his 7 girls and will run down a few of the scovy girls but so far everyone is still looking healthy. I just hope it stays that way.

Put some ACV into their water buckets for head dunking too.

Are your scovy drakes going after your KC?  Be sure to do the eye ointment before bed and take away food and water so she can't soak her head over night that will help keep the ointment on longer.  Gosh drakes can sure be a handful. I am so thankful my boys have been good so far this year.  My scovy only mates with is 4 female scovys and my Runner drakes mates with his 7 girls and will run down a few of the scovy girls but so far everyone is still looking healthy.  I just hope it stays that way.

Put some ACV into their water buckets for head dunking too.

No even my young Muscovy drake ignores my KC and Mallard females. I have the two Snowy call drakes, one Rouen drake, and one KC drake. 3 KC females and my mallard. The girls are always with my KC drake but the two calls and the Rouen team up on this one KC. Think I'm going to have hubby make a separate pen for the boys for a bit. And I have been doing the cider but I'll start taking away food/water at night. They still aren't playing in creek even though it low again. My Muscovies are so Neptunes eyes have been clear but not my other ones.

Back
Top Bottom