The Duck Thread

What a difference a week makes! These two are only a week apart

I have 7 healthy EI now. Hopefully 1 male and 6 females, and two female snowy mallards but they still look pretty weak.

I need some advice as soon as possible. I have some 6 weeks old Magpies. I can now tell that I have 1 girl and two boys. I CANNOT keep the boys, but I do not want the girl to be alone. I have some ducklings that I hatched yesterday mostly, but I don't think she will accept them, and she might hurt them. Anyone mixed ducklings varying in age that much? I say I need to know ASAP because I am bringing the new ducklings to a swap tomorrow. I don't think I could do that, but It can't hurt to ask if anyone has done it. What do you think I should do?

[COLOR=333333]I need some advice as soon as possible. I have some 6 weeks old Magpies. I can now tell that I have 1 girl and two boys. I CANNOT keep the boys, but I do not want the girl to be alone. I have some ducklings that I hatched yesterday mostly, but I don't think she will accept them, and she might hurt them. Anyone mixed ducklings varying in age that much? I say I need to know ASAP because I am bringing the new ducklings to a swap tomorrow. I don't think I could do that, but It can't hurt to ask if anyone has done it. What do you think I should do?[/COLOR]

This is my first time raising ducks and they are almost 2 weeks old. Do you mind me asking how you know the difference in the ducklings gender?

Hello I'm new to ducks I just got 2 baby welsh harlequins yesterday and they're 3 weeks old since I'm new to ducks I didn't know if I could let them play in the sink or not the guy I got them from said they would drowned themselves I put them in the sink n they kept drinking water n putting their heads under and I almost had an anxiety attack I had to get them out so is it okay for them to play in the sink or just what are basics of raising baby ducks?

Hey everyone, I have 13 ducklings. They will be 5 weeks old this Monday. 6 khaki Campbells. 2 cayugas and 5 Welsh Harlequins. All female. I've noticed lately that the Welsh Harlequins aren't as fast or friendly as the other ducklings and tend to hang back a bit. They are also the last to rush to the feed bowls and waterers. Because of this I think they are not eating and drinking as much, and I've noticed that a few of them have what I believe to be as a niacin deficency. A couple of them have shaky legs when they stand and will often collapse or plop down while the other ducklings are walking around. I increased the number of feeders and waterers.they get a niacin supplement in their food, in the electolyte mix in their water that I give them occasionally, I crush 1 100mg of niacin and mix it with a gallon waterer. And I have also been giving them 1 cup of crushed rolled oats and 1 tbsp of brewers yeast.
Do you think in should separate the Welsh Harlequins during the day from the other ducklings and give them their own water food, etc.? I don't want to stress them out...is there anyway to overdose of niacin? That is another of my concerns I am just afraid that these ducklings are not getting enough nutrients
1f61e.png
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What a difference a week makes! These two are only a week apart

I have 7 healthy EI now. Hopefully 1 male and 6 females, and two female snowy mallards but they still look pretty weak.
t

These are Black Sweedish, hatched 2 weeks apart

They really do grow fast. You do not realize how much they grow unless you compare hatchings side by side

Last edited:
Hello I'm new to ducks I just got 2 baby welsh harlequins yesterday and they're 3 weeks old since I'm new to ducks I didn't know if I could let them play in the sink or not the guy I got them from said they would drowned themselves I put them in the sink n they kept drinking water n putting their heads under and I almost had an anxiety attack I had to get them out so is it okay for them to play in the sink or just what are basics of raising baby ducks?

I have two week old ducklings and I let them swim in a container. It's a very big container though lol! You have to watch them though. Take them out after about 5-10 minutes :) Your main concern is the water getting to cold. It needs to be about 95 degrees then take them out after the 5-10 minutes :) I hope that helps :D

Yes that does help thanks the water was definitely warm I only let them swim like 2 minutes before I got scared n got them out they were having a blast though is there anything else as a first time duck owner I should know?

Back
Top Bottom