The Duck Thread

My babies are growing too quick!
IMG_20170618_162053.jpg
IMG_20170618_155713349.jpg

How do folks in the north take care of their ducks in winter? Mine wreck the waterers and I wonder how to make sure they have water.

Can anyone post pic of their ducks and set up in winter?

900x900px-LL-7cab1431_23908_fall_2011_chickens_and_coops_403.jpeg
How can I build a good coop that protects the ducks from predators?
I lock mine in at night. All my birds are locked in at night. My hoops all have hardware cloths front and back and halfway up the sides under the tarps. The front of this coop is hardware cloth. The run is just poultry wire so I suspect a weasel could get into the run if it chooses but can't get through the hardware cloth of the coop itself. So far so good. It's been years with no trouble. There are two doors front and back. Both hardware cloth.

How do folks in the north take care of their ducks in winter? Mine wreck the waterers and I wonder how to make sure they have water.

Can anyone post pic of their ducks and set up in winter?
I don't have any pictures of my water set up, but I'll try and get some today.

I made a frame for a 1gal bucket that leaves only a few inches of space for them to get their heads in up to their eyes. It's not heated, so I still have to smash ice out 2--3x per day, but it keeps them from getting the bedding icy. Also, I keep their water outside in a shoveled area until it goes below zero, and I don't even bother giving them water at night because it just freezes solid in a matter of hours. Just make sure to remove food too if you remove water.

I don't have any pictures of my water set up, but I'll try and get some today.

I made a frame for a 1gal bucket that leaves only a few inches of space for them to get their heads in up to their eyes. It's not heated, so I still have to smash ice out 2--3x per day, but it keeps them from getting the bedding icy. Also, I keep their water outside in a shoveled area until it goes below zero, and I don't even bother giving them water at night because it just freezes solid in a matter of hours. Just make sure to remove food too if you remove water.

Is removing the food because they need water to rinse their nares? I have heated bowls in the chicken run and don't keep food in the coop. The runs are covered in winter.
900x900px-LL-7359bab9_winter2012firstsnow009.jpeg

My ducklings are growing quickly too.
This batch sleeps in a 2x6 foot water tank in my linoleum floored hot tub room where the big hatcher is also located. I lift them in and out so they can go outside. They march out and down the stairs each morning to their day pen in the garden and then march back in each night.
It is time to build them a permanent coop in the garden like the one their parents have.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom