The Duck Thread

Like this...NOT MY PICTURE
khaki-ducks.jpg

So update on all my babies! The little Rouenxkc cross I helped hatch as well as the one we took from mom are still in house with us. We are trying to figure out diapers for them and hubby just babysat tub time so he must be warming up to them lol.
20170620_005535.jpg

The little one was sneezing a bit tonight. A little worried about it but she's acting normal.

My Peking broodies hatched out one baby two days ago and another today. First looked pure Peking and the second one was definitely part blue Muscovy but unfortunately it didnt live long. Really hoping theres another mix in there.
20170619_115806.jpg

My two Muscovy moms are doing well. The one wanted to stay outside with babies but something was getting the babes at night. We lost 3 but finally managed to get her and babies safely in pen. Going to make them stay in for a week and hoping they'll stay after that. And my last Muscovy can't seem to hatch out any eggs. Been sitting for almost 2 months and every egg has gone bad in 3 attempts. I'm starting to worry about her so I ordered some babies I'm hoping to slip under her. Cayuga and Welsh harl. Already have buyers for all of the Muscovies but the 3 I'm keeping!

Well, it has happened again. I may have a problem. The first step is admitting it, right? I started out in February wanting to add some different duck breeds to the flock. Stumbled upon a mixed batch of some at TSC and you have to buy 6 at one I was at, so I did. And amazingly ended up with 4 very cool runners. Not the breed I was looking for, but was so pleased with them, they're awesome. I wanted Cayugas to start but I realized one of my lil runners were blue, I quickly decided I needed some Blue Swedish in addition to the Cayugas I was already seeking. I went to feed store last month just knowing I would be ok as I was NOT getting anymore chickens. Well, they had just gotten some Cayugas in a few hours before I got there. So, I'm sure you can all see where this is going. I came home with 3 Cayugas and a mystery breed...lol. That brings us to today, again, I went to feed store to purchase my monthly supply of feed. I walked around the chicks n ducks area as not to even look at them. My daughter was with me, as I'm loading up feed, she says, "They have Swedish Blues"! I said Oh No! My poor boyfriend is shaking his head, No...lol. We came home with 3...I convinced myself and him that this is much cheaper for me cuz I wouldn't have to have them shipped from hatchery and was last breed on my list this year. I was actually going to wait til next spring to order any, but this would be much better since only have to pay the $4.99 each. So, now for a pic of these sweet Lil webs.
IMG_20170623_155348_193061892.jpg
IMG_20170623_155501_544073917.jpg
IMG_20170623_155610_-2106212951.jpg
IMG_20170623_155637_967968404.jpg

I hear they are calm and make great pet ducks as well as foragers. My runners are very chatty but, not so calm...lol. They're such a joy to watch and love to interact but mostly at a distance...lol. I can't wait to see how these Lil ones turn out. They had blacks there too but only got blue figuring if I breed them I can get black ones. I just love the blue colored birds.

Back
Top Bottom