The Duck Thread

Once a day should be sufficient... will also depend on how many and how big the pool is... some do weekly pool cleanings and that is fine... will have to see what works for you...

As for keeping ducks and chickens together, many do... I prefer to have separate coop/duck house, but mine free range together frequently... if you have drakes, you need to be aware and keep an eye out for drakes trying to breed hens... chickens do not have the same equipment as ducks and drakes can internally fatally injure a hen...
I won't be getting drakes. I hope at least. Any drakes will be given away immediately, to protect the hens!
I am only getting two ducks, I have a sandbox that is fairly little as their pool and I am thinking I will probably have to clean it once a day.

I won't be getting drakes. I hope at least. Any drakes will be given away immediately, to protect the hens!
I am only getting two ducks, I have a sandbox that is fairly little as their pool and I am thinking I will probably have to clean it once a day.

Just 2 ducks, once a week *should be* fine... just keep a separate container for fresh drinking water and change that daily/as needed...

Good planning ahead... just remember, you will adjust what you do as you go and figure out what works best for them and you... :)

Edit to add... I actually recommend 3 ducks, just in case something ever happens to one, you aren't left with a lone duck... very sad situation to end up in, just fyi...

Just 2 ducks, once a week *should be* fine... just keep a separate container for fresh drinking water and change that daily/as needed...

Good planning ahead... just remember, you will adjust what you do as you go and figure out what works best for them and you... :)

Edit to add... I actually recommend 3 ducks, just in case something ever happens to one, you aren't left with a lone duck... very sad situation to end up in, just fyi...
Thanks for all the advice! Yeah I have been thinking that three might be better. I am still thinking about it. Thanks for all the help!

My mother wanted ducks, so I brought home 2 ducklings a week after I got my chicks. I got them at Orschelsn and I believe they get them from Cackle Hatchery. They are Pekin ducks. Mom named them Topsy and Eva, but think they are both males. Topsy has that tuft on his head and was not apparent when I brought him home. She didn't handle them as much as I handled the chicks so they are pretty skittish. They currently reside with the chickens, but will make them their own home sometime in the future. They are just about 4 months old.
20170823_193314.jpg
20170823_193322.jpg

I am getting ducklings. Yes, I have heard how messy they are!
Do you have to mix their food with water? I heard that today. Also I heard they can have chicken feed, is that true?

We give our ducks chicken feed. Just try to get unmedicated if you can, to stay on the safe side. Since ducklings eat more than chicks I've heard it is possible for them to overdose.

This is a great table for duck nutritional requirements, from Metzer Farms.
Nutritional Requirements for Ducks and Geese
The most important is the type of feed (starter, grower, layer) and the amount of protein. Giving feed with too much protein can cause angel wing. The Metzer Farms website is a great recourse (that's where we ordered our ducks from). :) Also for niacin, see if you can buy some brewer's yeast and sprinkle it over their food; it helps prevent leg issues.

My mother wanted ducks, so I brought home 2 ducklings a week after I got my chicks. I got them at Orschelsn and I believe they get them from Cackle Hatchery. They are Pekin ducks. Mom named them Topsy and Eva, but think they are both males. Topsy has that tuft on his head and was not apparent when I brought him home. She didn't handle them as much as I handled the chicks so they are pretty skittish. They currently reside with the chickens, but will make them their own home sometime in the future. They are just about 4 months old.View attachment 1122803 View attachment 1122805

Yep, both drakes... lovely boys...

We give our ducks chicken feed. Just try to get unmedicated if you can, to stay on the safe side. Since ducklings eat more than chicks I've heard it is possible for them to overdose.

This is a great table for duck nutritional requirements, from Metzer Farms.
Nutritional Requirements for Ducks and Geese
The most important is the type of feed (starter, grower, layer) and the amount of protein. Giving feed with too much protein can cause angel wing. The Metzer Farms website is a great recourse (that's where we ordered our ducks from). :) Also for niacin, see if you can buy some brewer's yeast and sprinkle it over their food; it helps prevent leg issues.

Actually, most medicated feed in the US is just Amprolium so won't harm them, but just no need for it... a good all around feed for mixed flocks is Purina Flock Raiser if you can get it, can be fed from hatch to lay for both ducks and chickens... it is formulated with the higher Niacin content ducklings need... though Pekins have a tendency to need more Niacin than others...

Actually, most medicated feed in the US is just Amprolium so won't harm them, but just no need for it... a good all around feed for mixed flocks is Purina Flock Raiser if you can get it, can be fed from hatch to lay for both ducks and chickens... it is formulated with the higher Niacin content ducklings need... though Pekins have a tendency to need more Niacin than others...

Since I have the ducks with my chickens I have been feeding Country Lane All Flock. The ducks got the 22% meatbird starter/grower until they were moved outdoors. Do you think this All Flock feed is sufficient? The ingredients don't mention niacin.

https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/view/product/si-16--all-flock-10-lb/si6683336

• Crude Protein (min.) 16%, Lysine (min.) 0.6%, Methoinine (min) 0.30%, Crude Fat (min.) 3.0%
  • Crude Fiber (max) 9.0%, Calcium 1.5% min. 2.0% max., Phosphorus (min.) 0.50%, Salt 0.25% min. 0.75% max., Sodium .15% min. max .65%, Vitamin A (min.) 3,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E (min.) 20 IU/lb

Since I have the ducks with my chickens I have been feeding Country Lane All Flock. The ducks got the 22% meatbird starter/grower until they were moved outdoors. Do you think this All Flock feed is sufficient? The ingredients don't mention niacin.

https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/view/product/si-16--all-flock-10-lb/si6683336

• Crude Protein (min.) 16%, Lysine (min.) 0.6%, Methoinine (min) 0.30%, Crude Fat (min.) 3.0%
  • Crude Fiber (max) 9.0%, Calcium 1.5% min. 2.0% max., Phosphorus (min.) 0.50%, Salt 0.25% min. 0.75% max., Sodium .15% min. max .65%, Vitamin A (min.) 3,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E (min.) 20 IU/lb

Look on the actual ingredients list, not the box with the %'s, it should say Niacin in the listings... if it is very low down the list, then very little... higher up the list, like above the halfway mark, then should be fine...

But at the age of yours, they usually would be showing leg weakness/issues by now if it was an issue...

Back
Top Bottom