The Duck Thread

Hi all! Could I join the duck thread? I am getting blue Swedish in the spring (date keeps moving further away!) and would like to get some general info on ducks.
Does anybody have ducks and chickens living together? Mine will be and I want to know if that will work out well or not. Also what can you feed them? And has anyone tried the DIY duck waterer made from a vinegar bottle? I want to try that to cut down on costs as much as I can. Thanks in advance for any advice!
I have free range ducks and chickens together. The ducks do not sleep with the chickens though.

Ducks are messier than chickens but free range I don't notice it much. I keep a big horse trough for them to swim in. They do not mess with the chicken waterers, they are not deep enough to do duck stuff with so the chickens always have clean water untouched by the ducks. They need to always be able to get at water to dunk their heads in and in my humble opinion if they do not have access to swimming water every day it's cruel. It can cause foot trouble too.

I have only one drake and 3 hens. (I have a hen inside right now so technically 4, but she's unwell) If the ratio is correct they -should- leave the chickens alone. My drake seems more than content with his ladies and does not bother the chickens at all. If you get too many drakes you may have issues so stay away from that for sure. If you get too many drakes, either get more hens to balance it out or give some back to the breeder. They can be really nasty and as someone else said, ducks have a penis (a spiral one at that), and chickens do not. So if a duck tries to mate with a chicken it can be a great big problem. Too many ladies is fine. Should keep your drake or drakes busy.

Look on the actual ingredients list, not the box with the %'s, it should say Niacin in the listings... if it is very low down the list, then very little... higher up the list, like above the halfway mark, then should be fine...

But at the age of yours, they usually would be showing leg weakness/issues by now if it was an issue...

Thank you -- I will have to check on that next time I go over there. I don't have my feed bag anymore.

Thanks for the info @Ravynscroft . I have one young Rouen and those two mixes you helped me hatch but didnt realize there was a difference. I was really bumbed after seeing the birds. I had been looking forward to checking out poultry barn now that I own them but just felt sad. There were some chickens that were clearly sick and I was like nope not bringing my flock here. Although I did get to see a couple breeds in person that I want and think hubby wants a group of runners. Maybe 4? Although he never notices how many I actually have anyway lol.

I also free range my birds together, but they have separate coops. Ducks are way too wet for my chickens liking. I also brood in baby pool. Put a puppy pads under water/food tray. If you get a small litter box or baking pan something like that and place a raised grate or wire cloth in it to place food and water in it cuts waaaay down on duckling water mess.
IMG_20170625_132054007.jpg
not a great pic but you can see what I mean in side of pic. That is just a grilling tray from Walmart in a cake pan lid. Cost me 2.00

Well, I and my birds are settling in to our new place nicely. All has been good except neighbors let their dogs run and one got ahold of my Cayuga, Pip. She is doing ok but he got her pretty good 3 days ago and she is missing some back feathers and a puncture and some scrapes and is limping where he had a hold of her when I came out and rescued her. Needless to say, I got BB gun out there now. I'm in process of putting up fencing also. My ducks did get to take there first trip to the creek today. Was a bit of an adventure to get them back up to their house this evening but they seemed to enjoy their swim in something other than a baby pool. Still not sure who is laying but it's almost everyday. I love these guys they're awesome!
IMG_20170826_190633.jpg
IMG_20170826_190604.jpg
IMG_20170826_185509448.jpg
IMG_20170817_165737.jpg
IMG_20170817_165503544.jpg
IMG_20170826_185738468.jpg

Well, I and my birds are settling in to our new place nicely. All has been good except neighbors let their dogs run and one got ahold of my Cayuga, Pip. She is doing ok but he got her pretty good 3 days ago and she is missing some back feathers and a puncture and some scrapes and is limping where he had a hold of her when I came out and rescued her. Needless to say, I got BB gun out there now. I'm in process of putting up fencing also. My ducks did get to take there first trip to the creek today. Was a bit of an adventure to get them back up to their house this evening but they seemed to enjoy their swim in something other than a baby pool. Still not sure who is laying but it's almost everyday. I love these guys they're awesome!View attachment 1125752 View attachment 1125753 View attachment 1125754 View attachment 1125755 View attachment 1125758 View attachment 1125765

:love :love

Glad you and they are settling in well, but so sorry for Pip! :hugs
:fl she heals up fine... check the girls' bottoms if you want to tell who is laying... active layers are a bit *pouchier* just below the vent...

I will check and see if I can find the pouchie one...lol. I suspect it's my Pekin due to all eggs being white, but not sure. I know my Cayugas and Swedes are a bit too young to be laying yet. So, just leaves my black runner, mallard, khaki, and Pekin.

Maybe rat shot. My worst pet peeve is people letting their dogs run loose. I actually have a shot gun at the ready, don't want to kill anything but if something gets or goes after one of mine they will be sorry.

Sure hope Pip makes full recovery. What breed of dogs?

The one that got her was a jack Russell mix but there are 3. One doesn't bother them unless the others start chasing them or get one. Then it kicks in his chase instinct. I don't want to hurt them either, but if they come in my yard from now on they will be sorry as well. They haven't been around since they got a taste of the bb gun, but if they do try to come back around I will have to take stronger measures.

Back
Top Bottom