The Duck Thread

Question. My duck laid it's first egg on Saturday but hasn't laid another egg since. Is this normal? When should she lay again? How often do ducks normally lay?
Give her time. She will eventually get to where she lays almost daily. It may take a while for her to lay daily. I have a Kackie Campbell that is still not daily and she has been laying for about 2 months. Where the older Pekins and KC lay almost daily, except when they molt. They will stop laying for a while. Good luck!

okay got a quick duck question, now that my ducks are starting to lay, do i feed them oyster shells like chickens or is just a layer ration good enough for them?
I keep oyster shell out for all my layers just in case someone may need more. It's an inexpensive Insurance policy. [so to speak]

Hey everyone! I am a fairly new duck mama. I have had my 2 ducks for around 7 months now. I have one male and and one female. The female developed bow legs while the male did not. Therefore, the female has had a little difficult getting around, but it has never been too bad. Now that she started laying eggs, I feel as though things have gotten worse. She seems super healthy and swims just fine, in fact she hopped out of the pond and stood up long enough to clean and fluff her feathers. However, when she goes to walk she just kind of flops forward on her belly. I've started supplementing niacin. When I touch her feet/legs she shows absolutely no sign of pain whatsoever . I do not know what to do! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Make sure she is getting niacin and the right kind, No flush free or time released. 150mgs daily also make sure she is getting adequate calcium it takes a lot to make egg shells so oyster shell along with her feed, Free choice so she can have it when needed. What feed are you feeding?

Well, I got a small 7 egg incubator and decided to see if I can hatch some of my ducks eggs. I set them a lil bit ago and will keep everyone updated. I am not extremely familiar with this process but we will see how it goes. Hoping for at least one outta the 7 since I'm not extremely confident on fertilization rates. There's been plenty of mating but not sure how successful my boys are due to not knowing whose eggs are in. My boys are runners and have trouble reaching my pekin, but if they are my female runner they should be good.

Duck pile!
IMG_20170910_114807020_HDR.jpg

I am looking into getting some magpie hens. Can anyone tell me:
1. Do they fly (Or are they like Pekins, who fly like bricks?)
2. Are they as noisy as Pekins?
3. What color are their eggs and what size?
Thanks in advance!

I am looking into getting some magpie hens. Can anyone tell me:
1. Do they fly (Or are they like Pekins, who fly like bricks?)
A: Nope
2. Are they as noisy as Pekins?
A: Not sure how loud pekins are but they tend to be very loud when excitable.
3. What color are their eggs and what size?
A: The eggs are get are an off white to cream. Around 80 grams each.

Thanks in advance!

I can help!! I answered by editing your original post. They don't tend to be the greatest layers though. About every other day for half the year. All depends on the strain.

Back
Top Bottom