The Duck Thread

I rescued a jumbo pekin drake from a retention pond by a Lowes parking lot yesterday afternoon. He's huge. Even bigger than my ten pound jumbo pekin hen. He seems to be lacking in nutrition. His legs are pretty week and he's very pigeon toed. I'm feeding him high protein pellets with corn and calcium to help strengthen his legs. He is able to walk, but waddles intensely. I put him with my seventeen hens and he loves having other ducks to be with. I have no other drakes to be mean to him too, so he's in ducks heaven. He's on the road to recovery, but I was wondering if there was any thing else I could do. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

That is awesome you were able to get him. Bless you.

Feed him good as you are doing and good vitamins but be careful to not let him get too heavy once he gets feeling good. Ducks having weak legs anyway can really have serious trouble if they get over weight. I'd switch from calcium to A B complex or Nutritional yeast just because excess calcium can cause kidney trouble it's the B vitamins that helps strengthen the legs. mainly Niacin. Even if he is an adult giving some vitamins can do nothing but help.

I bet he is enjoying the fact he has all those ladies and now he is safe.

I rescued a jumbo pekin drake from a retention pond by a Lowes parking lot yesterday afternoon. He's huge. Even bigger than my ten pound jumbo pekin hen. He seems to be lacking in nutrition. His legs are pretty week and he's very pigeon toed. I'm feeding him high protein pellets with corn and calcium to help strengthen his legs. He is able to walk, but waddles intensely. I put him with my seventeen hens and he loves having other ducks to be with. I have no other drakes to be mean to him too, so he's in ducks heaven. He's on the road to recovery, but I was wondering if there was any thing else I could do. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
Pics?? I wanna see this boy

Back
Top Bottom