The FLIES are driving me mad!

Wifeygirl

Chirping
Jul 2, 2019
Sarasota Florida USA
We have tried everything to get rid of the flies. I've been using a reusable fly trap with bait. It definitely catches flies but, it smells horrible and I'm not really sure if it's getting rid of the flies from the coop or if it's attracting flies that weren't here to begin with LOL The jar fills up pretty quick which then has to be emptied and that is a disgusting chore. Then, throw the zip lock bag of nastiness into my garbage can which then, attracts more flies before trash day!! I'm concerned about putting deterrents in the yard or coop because I don't want to make the ladies sick nor, my dog for that matter.
Just to cover the basics...we clean the coop OFTEN. We scoop dog poop every day! We are in high humidity (love Florida summers). There are not any food scraps in the yard or coop. We have an electric bug zapper but it barely kills the state bird (mosquitoes). I've read about the spalding fly predator in another post here. It seems like it is worth a try but, again I'm worried about making them sick.
Suggestions wanted! :)

I HIGHLY recommend Fly Predators!
I used them when I had horses and they work as claimed. I did not have chickens at the time. I don't see how they could hurt chickens. I'm sure if you visit their website they will state what they can and cannot be used around.

I know how you feel! The flies are getting to me too. Its the same every summer. I have the disposable fly trapping bag things but I don't know if the sight of them hanging there teeming with rotting fly soup and the accompanying smell is actually an improvement! Plus even with two of the things going I still have quite a few flies around my back garden.
Sadly I have given up hope of being rid of them to be honest.

The Spalding fly predators are a big help, I agree.
Permethrin spray in the coop helps too, although not on top of the fly predators!
Fly traps need to be set AWAY from the coop and house, because they are meant to attract the flies!
I don't think that those bug zappers actually target flies, or mosquitos. They will kill moths, mostly useful critters.
I dislike flies a lot too!
Mary

I have never tried Fly Predators (but I may now.. ), but I always hang up Fly Tape. I know.. feathers and sticky tape sounds terrible, but I put it up away from the hens. I only had to pull/cut it off one hen and it didn't go nearly as bad as I imagined it would at first site of her.

I use a fly bait in a small container under a milk crate so the chickens cant get to it. Kills em real quick and really takes the population down drastically. Im in southern LA so i know a thing or three about the heat and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom