The Honey Factory

How many hives do you plan to have, eventually? Mostly for honey?

I'm really spoiled, as far as honey goes. I get it from my mentor, and I know it's real. I bought some "Pure, raw, unfiltered honey" from Costco, and I doubt it's any of those adjectives. :tongue I'm going to donate it to a food pantry.
current goal is up around 60 hives. with maybe a future of more if I can get more land to raise them on.

plan is to raise them mostly for honey. with the goal of at least 5000 lbs to be able to sell to whole sale markets

current goal is up around 60 hives. with maybe a future of more if I can get more land to raise them on.

plan is to raise them mostly for honey. with the goal of at least 5000 lbs to be able to sell to whole sale markets
That’s a lot of honey! I don’t know if you’re familiar with Mr Ed (Jeff Horchoff) on YT, but he manages A LOT of hives and he don’t come anywhere close to 5000 lbs.

How many hives do you plan to have, eventually? Mostly for honey?

I'm really spoiled, as far as honey goes. I get it from my mentor, and I know it's real. I bought some "Pure, raw, unfiltered honey" from Costco, and I doubt it's any of those adjectives. :tongue I'm going to donate it to a food pantry.
I once bought "raw" hone from WalMort and apart from the terrible taste it developed mold within a month. 🤢

Is there something like too many hives in an area? - I replace every tree that i take out of my forest for wood with a young tulip-tree and i am planning to grow fartichokes for syrup and nectar. What if you are in an area where almost every neighbor has bees?

Is there something like too many hives in an area? - I replace every tree that i take out of my forest for wood with a young tulip-tree and i am planning to grow fartichokes for syrup and nectar. What if you are in an area where almost every neighbor has bees?
Check your state laws. Here a permit is required to keep bees. The hobbyist permit is free and allows a person to keep up to 5 hives.

Over 5 hives requires a commercial permit for a specific location. If you are going to be intruding on an area that already has a commercial permit, your application will likely be denied.

That’s a lot of honey! I don’t know if you’re familiar with Mr Ed (Jeff Horchoff) on YT, but he manages A LOT of hives and he don’t come anywhere close to 5000 lbs.
i am not familiar but i will have to check it out.

am from Saskatchewan and for some odd reason we get a ton of honey per hive with our provincial average of 192 lbs per hive and that is from stats Canada (to note i have yet to hit that number)

there can be too many bees in an area, where am located my mentor said he would put around 60 hives in my location with no worry of over harvesting the nectar and pollen in area.

Back
Top Bottom