The Most Important Message You Will Ever Hear

I know one of the biggest differences God makes in my life is when someone I love dies. At my age, I've lost many loved ones. A brother, a sister, both parents, a husband and an ex-husband, have all been laid in the grave. But the hardest loss I ever suffered was my ex's mom. I loved her so much. I was closer to her even than my own mother. I can't tell you how devastated I felt when I heard of her death. But my faith in the Word of God sustained me, comforted me, gave me peace and dried my tears. I know this dear woman loved and trusted the Lord with all her heart. So I have confidence that in the last day, when Jesus returns, He will raise her from the grave and I will see her again. I can't wait to tell her how much I've missed her and sit with her in the earth made new and visit with her at Jesus' feet, knowing death will never part us again. It gives me such peace and joy!

What has it meant to you personally to accept Christ as your Savior? Anybody? How is your life different since you made that decision to let Him be the Lord of your life?
God has really changed me over the last year. He impressed upon me in so many ways that I was thinking wrongly. I was in the mindset that I had to be good enough to approach God, and then He would accept me. I was never taught that way, but Satan seeded it in my mind, I guess. I wanted to be accepted by Him, but try as I might, I couldn't change my sinful habits and ideas. I was discouraged and therefore drifted far from God. But, as I said, throughout this last year He showed me that He is our perfector! And that idea made all the difference. I don't need to do anything but believe and have the desire for Him to work in me, and He will do the rest. God is truly good.

I was reading over this thread, and I'd like to ask y'all a question. How do you know God is talking to you? Like when it says "if today you hear His voice, harden not your heart." What is His voice? My mom says that you will feel peace, but I've never felt peace or the opposite about anything. So what does peace feel like? And then like if I do feel like I'm making the right decision, something bad is sure enough going to come along and make me reconsider. Then I end up not making any decision at all...
(I guess that's more than one question :))

I was reading over this thread, and I'd like to ask y'all a question. How do you know God is talking to you? Like when it says "if today you hear His voice, harden not your heart." What is His voice? My mom says that you will feel peace, but I've never felt peace or the opposite about anything. So what does peace feel like? And then like if I do feel like I'm making the right decision, something bad is sure enough going to come along and make me reconsider. Then I end up not making any decision at all...
Great question(s)! The best and most important way to hear God speaking to you is --- IN HIS WORD. That's right, by reading the Bible. Does the Bible say one thing, but your heart tell you something different? Yeah, happens all the time. But the Bible tells us

Jeremiah 17:9 KJV
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

So what should we listen to, the Word of God, or our own heart? I hope you said God's Word!

And also, we can pray, and God says this:

John 7:17 KJV
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

This means, if we are WILLING to do God's will, He will teach us His way.

Here's another wonderful promise:

James 1:5 KJV
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and
upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

God's promises are sure; He cannot lie. So when you ask for guidance, for wisdom, believe that He answers you, then move forward in faith, trusting His promise.

Here's one more:

Isaiah 30:21 KJV
And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

I hope this helps!

Oh, one last thing. Scripture also tells us to seek advice from our elders, from spiritual advisors. Let me see if I can find that verse.

Wrote this up and didn't post it. 😅 I think I took a more literal approach.

I think you might get slightly different answers from everyone. I have friends and relatives who have actually heard God's voice telling them to do specific things, such as telling my Grandmother to stop taking medicines that she was unsure about. Some people do feel an overwhelming peace, as I understand it. Such as when praying about a big decision, and they feel the peace when it's right. For me personally, it's like there's a guiding force. I'm on a path, and when I start to stray, I almost feel a resistance telling me "this isn't the right way for you", even if it isn't something related to sin.
But it certainly is possibly to truly hear His voice. Most just don't, on a regular basis. My grandparents have devoted their entire lives to God and spreading His love around the world, so I don't know if that has something to do with her hearing Him.

Great question(s)! The best and most important way to hear God speaking to you is --- IN HIS WORD. That's right, by reading the Bible. Does the Bible say one thing, but your heart tell you something different? Yeah, happens all the time. But the Bible tells us

Jeremiah 17:9 KJV
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

So what should we listen to, the Word of God, or our own heart? I hope you said God's Word!

And also, we can pray, and God says this:

John 7:17 KJV
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

This means, if we are WILLING to do God's will, He will teach us His way.

Here's another wonderful promise:

James 1:5 KJV
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and
upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

God's promises are sure; He cannot lie. So when you ask for guidance, for wisdom, believe that He answers you, then move forward in faith, trusting His promise.

Here's one more:

Isaiah 30:21 KJV
And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

I hope this helps!
Thanks! I don't read the Bible as much as I ought (I'm Catholic :) - but seriously, I do try to read it) but I will make more time for it throughout the week. Your post was encouraging, thank you!
I'm on a path, and when I start to stray, I almost feel a resistance telling me "this isn't the right way for you", even if it isn't something related to sin.
I've only experienced this once, and it was actually related to ducks! I was ordering ducks and had picked out four, but got this nagging feeling like, "you'll be sorry!" I couldn't hardly sleep on it. So the next morning I canceled one of the duckings and immediately everything felt right. It was strange!
Proverbs 11:14 KJV
Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
Maybe that's my problem, I have no counselors. There's my parents and they mean the best but I don't feel comfortable talking with them. My pastor (who I did ask advice of frequently) was moved to another parish and the new one doesn't want to be bothered.

I feel odd saying these things on a social media platform but there was no one else to talk to...y'all have been encouraging, thank you :)!

Oof, sorry about the adults in your life. How about teachers? School counselors?
No...my professors are rather, um, out of touch.
My mom and I have long "conversations" but they're usually one way, so I don't even bother bringing up anything :).
I keep a journal and a diary and that helps sort out things.

Back
Top Bottom