The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

SOP time! The girls were not about standing today, so I'll be using their best photographs from the past. Note that the pose they pulled off in those photographs is a pose I steel see them having every day, I'm not going to show a photo of the bird that could pose like a champ, but can't do it anymore

It was a little intense, yeah. But I much rather it be 39°C, than 4°C
Nice to see how these local chickens have adapted to the Greek climate.

I like temperatures right in the middle.
(39 + 4 ) : 2 = 21,5 C. So do my Dutch.
But I must say that the heat (over 35 C) in Greece is much more bearable as in the Netherlands. Has to do with humidity.
And around 40C with an Adriatic or Aegean sea breeze is not too bad either. 🍉💙 🌊

First up: no name pullet.

Let's start with the negatives, and work our way up. Too long of a back, wings not in the correct position, head and neck rarely held in the correct place (though good when held in said place), too small of a comb, although it has grown a bit, and tail feathers kept too close together, not fanned out.

Positives: lively eyes, smooth transition from saddle to tail, petite earlobes, a relatively good "inverted V" appearing in the shape of the tail when looking at her from behind, good leg size, and most importantly, a healthy and vigorous bird. If it takes me twice as long to my get to my goals in regards to conformation, but I reach said goal with healthy birds, I'm taking it
Screenshot_20231212_171443_Gallery.jpg

Nice to see how these local chickens have adapted to the Greek climate.

I like temperatures right in the middle.
(39 + 4 ) : 2 = 21,5 C. So do my Dutch.
But I must say that the heat (over 35 C) in Greece is much more bearable as in the Netherlands. Has to do with humidity.
And around 40C with an Adriatic or Aegean sea breeze is not too bad either. 🍉💙 🌊

Yes, they have adapted quite well to our way of life. I agree, the heat is much more bearable here, if it were more humid, it'd be deadly

Next up: Foureira (ok here I need to mention that i dont have a good enough photo that showcases some of her faults. So i am going to use an old photo of her, and just tell you them)

Negatives: a little bit larger of a comb than I'd like, tail feathers relatively fanned out, but not as much as I'd like, wattles very bold and showing, neck could be slightly more S shaped, back slightly longer than I'd love, legs short, wings held less horizontally than ideal.

Positives: the back, tail and head form a very nice U shape (I forgot to mention that positive in the first girl), lively eyes, full feathering, yet not puffy, no rough transitions anywhere on her body, round chest, healthy bird. Her temperament is also great, but that's true for all of them
Screenshot_20230905_141359_Gallery.jpg

Last pullet: Scary Spice

Negatives: shorter legs than ideal, tail could be more fanned out, her back, tail, and head sometimes create more of a V shape (which is correct for males), rather than a U, neck could be a taaaad (but really, only a tad) more S in shape

Positives: Nice inverted V shape I'm the tail, nicely held head, nice and round chest, wings have the correct curve inwards at the tips (both the other girls have it, she has the best one IMO, along with Foureira), perfect comb size, 5 tips on the comb (also something they all have, sorry I'm forgetful), full feathering, no rough transitions, ideal back, the best tail size, lively eyes

Now I have to put a slight parenthesis here. Scary Spice is the smallest out of all the serama here, and while usually very healthy, today she did not want to show off very much. She ranged and did everything very well, but I couldn't help feeling that for some moments before putting her back in her pen, she seemed a little off. I do think it might be a health thing
Screenshot_20231229_115153_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom