The welsummer that won’t shut up, feed related?

Alohacayo

Songster
May 1, 2021
Southern California, Inland Empire
I’ve mentioned a few times about the (currently about 8/9 months old) welsummer that just makes a racket. She’s always been this way, and it’s been funny but also frequently annoying. She also rarely makes actual chicken noises. She barks (visitors & we mistake her for the dogs), she makes a knocking noise (that’ll make you get up and check the door), and every so often she’ll bawk.

The other 3 hens are “normal”, regular quiet chicken noises, but in general a whisper, esp compared to the barker.

She’s been laying eggs (6/wk) for months. She’s healthy and as far as we can tell happy.

What I’m curious about have you noticed the hens making more or less noise depending on what you feed?

Probably more noticeable in a really small flock, small backyard setting.

This last week, on accident, I noticed that Carla is silent all day if she has greens. They make their normal quiet noises, but there’s no complaining and yelling or bawking.

They’re fed a 20% layer pellet free choice, water is always available (self filling cup+horizontal nipples), grit & oyster shell free choice… in the desert, so native vegetation is sparse, but they get about a cup of soaked scratch + whatever is getting tossed from the fridge in the morning. Plus a handful of whatever “greens” I’m messing with, when I messing with them (romaine, spinach, cabbage, various growing herbs, rose leaves/flowers, sprouts). Housing is an open air 120sqft hoop coop w/vines & bamboo surrounding it, an 8sqft “nest house”. Shredded bark/wood chips abt 10” thick on ground. 4 hens, Carla, not-Carla (cream legbar, same age), Lucy and Ethel (the polish, abt 7mo old).

The last 10 days, there were days I didn’t give them greens (didn’t have any that were chicken ready)… and those days she was all sorts of (normal for her) noisy. The last 3 days I actually made a point of a full handful am/midday/an hour before dark, and they’ve all been silent. (They’re still eating abt 1# a day of pellets, so normal on regular food and egg production.)

My mom (and at least 5 other elderly relatives) watches them from the camera and she actually called me up to ask what was wrong with the girls (ie Carla) because they weren’t making any noise. Which is what started the thought process.

I definitely plan to continue this course of action, because it’s been really nice not getting barked at by a chicken named after my sister (😝 mom named her & not-Carla, I had nothing to do w/it except laugh).

So tell me about if anyone has noticed similar? And, hopefully, puhleeeease tell me it’ll continue?

Each chicken has its own personality, and Carla just happens to be very vocal. I've had a few like that. I don't think there is a correlation between feed and vociferousness, as long as the birds are getting proper nutrition, which yours are, from your description of what you feed them. The greens may have some chemical that calms Carla in particular, or it may just been that she is happy and content after she eats them, and that's why she's more quiet. Who knows? Just keep giving them to her and hope the effect continues.

Each chicken has its own personality, and Carla just happens to be very vocal. I've had a few like that. I don't think there is a correlation between feed and vociferousness, as long as the birds are getting proper nutrition, which yours are, from your description of what you feed them. The greens may have some chemical that calms Carla in particular, or it may just been that she is happy and content after she eats them, and that's why she's more quiet. Who knows? Just keep giving them to her and hope the effect continues.
Lol, I had a commercial parrot aviary for 30 years, so loud birds are definitely normal & expected, this chicken has just been nothing but a mouth from week one.

The type of greens don’t seem to matter, unless chlorophyll itself is her kryptonite.

The barking chicken experience/experiment will continue…

Lol, I had a commercial parrot aviary for 30 years, so loud birds are definitely normal & expected, this chicken has just been nothing but a mouth from week one.

The type of greens don’t seem to matter, unless chlorophyll itself is her kryptonite.

The barking chicken experience/experiment will continue…
Yeah, barking is weird for a chicken. Maybe she thinks she's a mocking bird.

I’ve mentioned a few times about the (currently about 8/9 months old) welsummer that just makes a racket. She’s always been this way, and it’s been funny but also frequently annoying. She also rarely makes actual chicken noises. She barks (visitors & we mistake her for the dogs), she makes a knocking noise (that’ll make you get up and check the door), and every so often she’ll bawk.

The other 3 hens are “normal”, regular quiet chicken noises, but in general a whisper, esp compared to the barker.

She’s been laying eggs (6/wk) for months. She’s healthy and as far as we can tell happy.

What I’m curious about have you noticed the hens making more or less noise depending on what you feed?

Probably more noticeable in a really small flock, small backyard setting.

This last week, on accident, I noticed that Carla is silent all day if she has greens. They make their normal quiet noises, but there’s no complaining and yelling or bawking.

They’re fed a 20% layer pellet free choice, water is always available (self filling cup+horizontal nipples), grit & oyster shell free choice… in the desert, so native vegetation is sparse, but they get about a cup of soaked scratch + whatever is getting tossed from the fridge in the morning. Plus a handful of whatever “greens” I’m messing with, when I messing with them (romaine, spinach, cabbage, various growing herbs, rose leaves/flowers, sprouts). Housing is an open air 120sqft hoop coop w/vines & bamboo surrounding it, an 8sqft “nest house”. Shredded bark/wood chips abt 10” thick on ground. 4 hens, Carla, not-Carla (cream legbar, same age), Lucy and Ethel (the polish, abt 7mo old).

The last 10 days, there were days I didn’t give them greens (didn’t have any that were chicken ready)… and those days she was all sorts of (normal for her) noisy. The last 3 days I actually made a point of a full handful am/midday/an hour before dark, and they’ve all been silent. (They’re still eating abt 1# a day of pellets, so normal on regular food and egg production.)

My mom (and at least 5 other elderly relatives) watches them from the camera and she actually called me up to ask what was wrong with the girls (ie Carla) because they weren’t making any noise. Which is what started the thought process.

I definitely plan to continue this course of action, because it’s been really nice not getting barked at by a chicken named after my sister (😝 mom named her & not-Carla, I had nothing to do w/it except laugh).

So tell me about if anyone has noticed similar? And, hopefully, puhleeeease tell me it’ll continue?
You can never really tell who are the chatty cathys. Sometimes they are quite as pullets, and then once they start laying they go bonkers. My experiences have been (not always true, but more often true than not true - depending on the breed and if they are bred for quiet disposition) the loud mouths are better layers. They have all that energy, thus also lay more often. More quiter ones will lay, but not as much. I do however, prefer quieter hens/chickens because sometimes when they yonk, they yonk for a long time! I'm glad my neighbors are forgiving enough.

Everyone so far thinks it’s adorable. The two side neighbors just thought I’d gotten a different dog. It is funny, but I’m usually pretty happy when the sun goes down. It has been kind of crazy bc I had so many parrots for so long, having a chicken not making chicken noises is *odd*. (I should mention, she can & does occasionally make normal chicken noises, but not often.)

@willchickeneat funny you mention being a better layer, because yes, she is. Drops 6/wk like clockwork. The polish just started squatting, so pretty sure they’re close. The CL, well-she averages right now 2-3/wk. The CL is the most silent, but she grew up with the mouth… No other welsummers to compare though.

We need a video of the barking.
I’ll work on that. The wyze camera doesn’t pick up ambient sound very well, and she quits as soon as you approach, so I’ve been trying to figure out how to capture it. She used to moan (like a ghost/haunted house movie) but she hasn’t done that for a few months now.

I've got a talker, too. She's the best layer I have so I ignore her. She talks all the time. Talks to the ground, talks to my feet, talks to the nest box, talks to her egg, talks to the other chickens. And sometimes she talks to nothing at all, or maybe she's chatting to the wind, sun, stars....and boy does she gets loud when she sees me with the treat cup. Lord have mercy, she get's everybody stirred up. Even the rooster in the next coop sounds off the alarm crow which sets off the peacock whose honking can be heard way over at the shop on the next hill. However, she don't bark. The dogs do but my chatty chicken just cackles and chitters and wails her way through her day.

Back
Top Bottom