They are eating their eggs

Gersbud

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Central Michigan
How do I stop my chickens from eating their own eggs.
I have 25 chickens and I am lucky to get 2 maybe 3 eggs
in a day. HELP!!
sad.png

Gersbud, Welcome to BYC. Increase the protein in their diet. Chickens demand alot of protein and simple treats like dry cat food and oil sunflower seeds that are 30% protein will help. Make sure your layer feed has at least 16% protein.

Darken the nests by hanging material in front with a slit for the hens to enter through.
Hens that can't see easy eggs to eat don't eat them. Hope this helps, I know it works.

bigzio

Quote:
Question: by "oil sunflower seeds" do you mean black oil sunflower seeds ? (called BOSS in the horse world)

Last edited:
if you can collect the eggs 2 or 3 times a day.an that will slow them from eating them.unless they eat emm as fast as they are layed.if it dont stop you can cull your egg eaters.

Gave them cat food and changed their feed to a higher protein. Got 4 eggs today.
There seems to be hope for them yet!:

Well today is another day and to my surprise I found 6 eggs, 5 brown and 1 aracauna, who haven't layed eggs
in over 3 weeks.
lol.png
big_smile.png

Thanks all for the help!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Gersbud, congrats on the fresh eggs. Close management of the flock is priceless and the rewards taste great too! Glad it's going better.
love.gif

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom