They haven't laid for 7 months!

Glad to meet you, Amy, and welcome to BYC. Birds do tend to stop laying in winter months. They are very sensitive to the shorter daylight periods.

You are right that stressed birds also stop laying, but it sounds like you have a handle on that. Do check the protein amounts on your Walmart feed, and be sure to get a bag of crushed oyster shells to give the ladies the calcium they need for laying. Otherwise, when they start to lay again, they will be using calcium from their own bodies, and bones will weaken.

My ladies are only just starting to lay again. I have quail in my basement, so it's not about them being cold. It's the daylight hours. Be patient. I bet they will start laying eggs for you in a few days to a few weeks.

Hi Amy, My hens have just started barely laying it's the sunshine I second the thoughts on checking the protein content of feed. I have 2 feeders 1 is "All flock" = 20% protein and the other is layer feed. Just a suggestion. My girls are going to town on the all flock right now so I think laying is right around the corner. I also feed oyster shell free choice.
Do they all have bright red combs and wattles? Not all of mine do so far. Have patience are you hens a good layer breed?

What is the protein percentage on your layer feed? Do you know what breeds your chickens are? Not sure why your birds stopped laying so early last "fall", but we are just getting into the longer days that trigger the birds to begin laying again. I have only had a few duck eggs this season, and I have 30 ducks. I don't expect them to be in full laying mode for a couple weeks yet.
My layer feed is 16% protein. I just started getting eggs today, so it must have been the daylight hours.

Hi Amy, My hens have just started barely laying it's the sunshine I second the thoughts on checking the protein content of feed. I have 2 feeders 1 is "All flock" = 20% protein and the other is layer feed. Just a suggestion. My girls are going to town on the all flock right now so I think laying is right around the corner. I also feed oyster shell free choice.
Do they all have bright red combs and wattles? Not all of mine do so far. Have patience are you hens a good layer breed?
I believe they are a good layer breed but I don't quite remember. I think my son hatched them himself. I have oyster shell I'll start giving them and up their protein

My layer feed is 16% protein. I just started getting eggs today, so it must have been the daylight hours.
16% is enough protein. Mine get 18% protein as I feed my layers starter grower with oyster shell on the side. I have roosters running so I don't use layer feed that has to much calcium for the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom