Things you wish you could say

We have a sign with the number on a tree, with an arrow pointing to the right, so that any delivery person can see that our house is down the driveway to the right. We have numbers on a stone on our driveway, but you wouldn't ever see those from where the driveway branches. Our house isn't very visible when the trees are leafed out.

Usually they leave packages next door. Today's driver didn't even bother to look for numbers; he left it at the first house he came to. A quarter mile away.

In February, the propane delivery driver filled the tank next door. There it sits, too, as the neighbor has switched suppliers. It is a 500 gallon tank with 411 gallons of propane in it. They might need a crane to get it out of there; it's gotta be well over a ton.

We do get courteous, attentive drivers out here. One even said he appreciated the sign on the tree because he had never been out here before.

We have a sign with the number on a tree, with an arrow pointing to the right, so that any delivery person can see that our house is down the driveway to the right. We have numbers on a stone on our driveway, but you wouldn't ever see those from where the driveway branches. Our house isn't very visible when the trees are leafed out.

Usually they leave packages next door. Today's driver didn't even bother to look for numbers; he left it at the first house he came to. A quarter mile away.

In February, the propane delivery driver filled the tank next door. There it sits, too, as the neighbor has switched suppliers. It is a 500 gallon tank with 411 gallons of propane in it. They might need a crane to get it out of there; it's gotta be well over a ton.

We do get courteous, attentive drivers out here. One even said he appreciated the sign on the tree because he had never been out here before.
I like it when people do things like the sign and arrow too. I get the special instructions in the app, and I always make sure to thank people who give me detailed directions to hard to find houses.

Are your house numbers easy to see? I do DoorDash as a part time extra money gig, and it drives me nuts when I'm trying to make 100% certain that I'm delivering to the right address and I can't FIND the address! My new house has big white numbers on the mailbox and big silver numbers on the side of the house.
Emergency address numbers are supposed to be reflective white on either a reflective red or green background. I believe they are supposed to be at least 3" tall.

You may be able to get them through your local fire department. If not, there is at least one online company that specializes in them.

Last edited:
Emergency address numbers are supposed to be reflective white on either a reflective red or green background. I believe they are supposed to be at least 3" tall.

You may be able to get them through your local fire department. If not there is at least one online company That specializes in them.
I did not know this. 🤔 Our house does not have big numbers on it, and delivery drivers use a gps that always deposits them on the next street. The ambulance and police were able to find our house with no problem though (most likely because they have been here before, but still...).

You may be able to get them through your local fire department. If not there is at least one online company That specializes in them.
Our local fire dept gives them out for free. White on green background

1000013695.jpg

Moved to avoid a person. Leaned too far. Hit the pedal on the street. Broke the pedal and now my bike has a peg there left behind. At least it's still semi rideable.

Back
Top Bottom