~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

Hey it looks like 5 of the remaining 6 turkey eggs have pipped. I am getting the brooder ready and wanted to know what the best temperature to start these guys out. At the moment I have 98.4˚ over by the light and 94.5˚ in the far corners of the box.
That sounds a little warm. I don't use a thermometer but I do make sure the brooder is large enough that they have somewhere they can be under heat and at the far end of the brooder it is at room temperature. That way they can choose at any given time at what temp they are most comfortable. When people do measure temps, they recommend 95 under the heat and reduce it by 5 degrees per week. But you are saying the coolest part of your brooder is 94.5 which doesn't give them any option to go to a place that is cool.

are you hatching them with chickens or by there selves. Is it in a single hatch or a on going solid staggered hatch.
Now the other turkey eggs I have going is in the Brinsea 20. as a fresh hatch. I am not having to raise the humidity until they are due. Using a dry hatch around 37.5 Humidity .
Ae hatching in egg cartons or laying down/

Donna is hatching them for me along with some tutor SBEL chicks. I had my thermostat give me problems in the Easter HAL and so I asked if she could hatch these guys for me since I had already set it up to get the eggs. I will get them from her after hatching. I just want to set them up right. These will be my first day olds. I have raised guineas from 3 weeks before but never poultry this young.

I need to take a break from BYC for awhile..
busy with life and have my hands full with parrot incubation / hatchings and tending to the kittens and other critters.. plus my artwork is starting to call to me again... must obey the muse when she calls!

btw.. for those who have wondered how the five bottle kittens are doing.. they will be 7 weeks old Tuesday and all five have survived!
lol.. not bad if I must say so myself since I started hand feeding them when they were barely 24 hours .. (mom cat had only fed them for about 12 hours before she met a grisly fate by coyote or worse..)

so have fun y'all... and try not to be as bad as I have been (lol.. a few of you will know what I mean
wink.png
)

Quote!!!!
One of my dogs started barking at 2am... went outside with the gun and a flashlight.. nothing in sight.. birds were all sleeping peacefully.. the only thing different was teh sound of a train in the distance

so now this dog thinks trains are a threat... it's gonna be a loooong summer..

Alway trust your dog.
I'll try to make this short
"Once a long time ago my kids were young, and it was quiet rural here. I raised white german shepherds, they were kennel on the south side of my house. They were all raising Holy H---. Very much out of character if there isn't some there. It was dark still just barely Dawn. I look could find any thing. Came back in the house. The Dog started raising H--- all over again. So I went back out still couldn't find anything. The pasture was about 2 foot next door. My male dog quit barking but had a low muffled growl I could hear. So I just stood there quietly . I saw a guy pop his head up out of the grass. I shouted out to him to stand up or I was going to let the dogs out (dogs barking at him now) He wouldn't stand up. I hollered at him once more to stand up and explain to me why his was in the weeds behind my house. Again he wouldn't stand up and show himself. So I told him I was going in the house and getting my shotgun. He still would stand up. LOL I came toward the house and I saw a Neighbor lady (using Lady lightly) come running down the driveway with extra clothes in hand . i thought she was going to have a heart attack . Very heavy set lady Please Saying please don't shoot, Please don't shoot. He had a Cell phone Lucky guy!!!!!!
It was her boy-friend hiding in the the bushes. Her husband had made a unscheduled stop at home to get a cup of coffee. the poor guy was without clothes. And He told her that the Crazy B---H next door was getting her shotgun and going turn her crazy dogs loose in just a second. LOL.
I busted up laughing half way felt sorry for the guy. Not that he deserved it.....
She threw is clothes over the fence to him. I don't think either of them were laughing like I was....
I went out to praise the dogs for their good jobs. When he finally popped up not saying a word......Dogs got a extra treat that night !!!! Made me feel a lot safer.
Each bark out of my dogs you could almost tell if it was a cat, dog, human, horse loose, or if they were barking on the doggie chat line. Doggie chat line they got in trouble. Each bark was a little different.
Hope this gives you a laugh for the day..... i have laughed about it many times....

That sounds a little warm. I don't use a thermometer but I do make sure the brooder is large enough that they have somewhere they can be under heat and at the far end of the brooder it is at room temperature. That way they can choose at any given time at what temp they are most comfortable. When people do measure temps, they recommend 95 under the heat and reduce it by 5 degrees per week. But you are saying the coolest part of your brooder is 94.5 which doesn't give them any option to go to a place that is cool.

That is what I need to know. I am brooding them this first week or two in the Fishtank Hatcher/Brooder. I currently have the Hatcher styrofoam lid on it. I have a metal wire lid that fits it instead of the Styrofoam for brooding. I am using a small intense table lamp for the brooding temps after pulling the hatching gear that didn't work right (crappy thermostat). So I am working out just how to get my warm and cool zones before the poults/chicks get here. As soon as I figure out my new $10 Vivitar digital camera (from Dollar General) I will get some pictures of my set up. Especially if it turns out that it works well.

Quote:
My babies? YAY! I do the same as yinepu. Stick a light over 1 end & let the other end be cool. If they snuggle close to the light, lower it. If they move away from it, raise it. This time of year, they won't need much heat or for very long. Yours sounds pretty hot. I would raise it a bit or go with a cooler bulb.

Removed a chick that hatched overnight, decided to flashlight candle a few of the turkey eggs before putting g the lid back on... I have a couple of internal pips.. Not due til Tuesday but wouldn't be surprised to see some external pips by this evening or morning!! Hope nothing goes wrong.. These guys are my last ditch effort to get my flock started for next year...
fl.gif

Removed a chick that hatched overnight, decided to flashlight candle a few of the turkey eggs before putting g the lid back on... I have a couple of internal pips.. Not due til Tuesday but wouldn't be surprised to see some external pips by this evening or morning!! Hope nothing goes wrong.. These guys are my last ditch effort to get my flock started for next year...
fl.gif
good luck at least you have a chick i have seen no pips what so ever

Back
Top Bottom