Tiny Hen - can cocciodosis stunt growth?

littledog

Free Ranging
12 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Puget Sound area, WA
My little RIR hen is 5 months old and still the size of a pigeon. The barred rock who was hatched at the same time is fully hen-sized, and the gold sexlink who is actually 2 weeks younger is even larger. Little Lucy the Red did have cocciodosis a couple months ago, at that time they were all the same size - I treated all three, Lucy recovered and the other two stayed healthy. But Lucy never caught up in growth. She seems perfectly healthy, active, nicely feathered and the larger two don't pick on her - when they are eating she doesn't mind shoving between the larger hens to get her fair share. Still, she tends to mostly keep to herself, her combs are not as developed and her clucks are still chickish.
Could cocciodosis have caused stunted growth? And what can I do to help her catch up?

Hi i have a very tiny barnavelder who is 16 weeks but is the size of a six week old. I got told its how they formed in the egg and has nothing to do with any illnesses. Im not a chick expert but thats what i was yold, plus my little hen who we named pip is brilliant and she isnt scared to budge her way to the front of the feed box ha ha.
smile.png

It could be a form of dwarfism. If that is the case, she will never catch up. As long as she is healthy, I wouldn't worry. Over on the duck area, there are a few micro ducks. One of them did have a heart defect that is stunting his growth. The others appear to just be dwarfs.

this is red, a feedstore cochin, about half the size of the other banty cochins- she is a house chicken now, going outside periodically while the weather is nice-

red31.jpg

red41.jpg

have always wondered if it was just a genetic thing

I know this is old, but yes, coccidiosis can stunt growth. I had a roo that went thru that and finally caught up with the rest at 5 months. It looked like he was never going to get bigger. It has something to do with cocci damaging the intestine and preventing nutrition absorbsion.

Back
Top Bottom