To get 'big silkies'...

My goal weight is 15lbs, goal height is 3ft for my Giant Silkies. So, I'm using both Brahmas, & Malays. Malays are getting crossed into the bloodline next spring.

So, you want 12 - 13lbs?
Hmm... I have not come to the exact number for weight yet, to be honest - just thinking that the bigger the better. Let's say at now that less than 10 pounds is not good enough for me :D

Hmm... I have not come to the exact number for weight yet, to be honest - just thinking that the bigger the better. Let's say at now that less than 10 pounds is not good enough for me :D
So far my biggest rooster is alittle over 5lbs, & still growing. The Hens are same size as Game hens.

10lbs is a pretty good start actually.

I daydreamed a bit after the work at school today - and vividly imagined a giant black Showgirl of about 1 m high... Now, when fully awake, I can not even imagine what would I do if I met it:eek: Run away screaming on top of my lungs? Froze in place with awe and astonishment? Say to myself "Well, this not happening!" and walk away just shrugging my shoulders? :lau

I daydreamed a bit after the work at school today - and vividly imagined a giant black Showgirl of about 1 m high... Now, when fully awake, I can not even imagine what would I do if I met it:eek: Run away screaming on top of my lungs? Froze in place with awe and astonishment? Say to myself "Well, this not happening!" and walk away just shrugging my shoulders? :lau
That's kinda funny. But are you wanting Giant Naked Neck Silkies/Show Girls?, or just Giant Black Silkies?

That's kinda funny. But are you wanting Giant Naked Neck Silkies/Show Girls?, or just Giant Black Silkies?
To be honest, I strongly dislike Naked Necks.... In case of Silkies, the naked neck is somehow tolerable as the skin is black. Yet any breed with a red naked neck - not for me for sure, sorry!
Thus, it is just Giant Silkies. Preferably - but not necessarily! - black, yes.

To be honest, I strongly dislike Naked Necks.... In case of Silkies, the naked neck is somehow tolerable as the skin is black. Yet any breed with a red naked neck - not for me for sure, sorry!
Thus, it is just Giant Silkies. Preferably - but not necessarily! - black, yes.
I don't like the Naked Necks on Silkies, but I do like the regular naked neck breed.

Okay, sounds good. One recommendation I have, is avoid bantam Silkies in your project. You don't want the Recessive Bantam Dwarfism gene in the line.

I don't like the Naked Necks on Silkies, but I do like the regular naked neck breed.

Okay, sounds good. One recommendation I have, is avoid bantam Silkies in your project. You don't want the Recessive Bantam Dwarfism gene in the line.
Yes-yes, no bantams in breeding lines if the goal is a giant chicken :D
As I wrote initially, I have been thinking of crossing black Silkies with Ayam Cemani initially and bring in Brahma after that. It's to get Silkies a bit bigger before starting crosses with Brahmas. Does this make any sense - or is it not necessary at all and I could start with SilkiexBrahma crosses from the very beginning?
Also, someone (sorry, I do not remember right now who exactly!) suggested to cross black Silkies with Black Cochins as the first step. What do you think?

Yes-yes, no bantams in breeding lines if the goal is a giant chicken :D
As I wrote initially, I have been thinking of crossing black Silkies with Ayam Cemani initially and bring in Brahma after that. It's to get Silkies a bit bigger before starting crosses with Brahmas. Does this make any sense - or is it not necessary at all and I could start with SilkiexBrahma crosses from the very beginning?
Also, someone (sorry, I do not remember right now who exactly!) suggested to cross black Silkies with Black Cochins as the first step. What do you think?
Honestly, I'd just go with Brahma X Silkie. Brahmas already have genetics from both Malays, & Giant Cochins. That's what I did, & the result in size was evident from hatch.

Back
Top Bottom