LilHitzel

Chirping
May 10, 2023
Did I make a mistake? I had to rehome two accidental roosters, and was given a hen that is the same age as my flock of 5 girls.

I had her in a dog cage against the main run, and they seemed interested but weren’t acting up. She was terrified and trying to get in with them, slamming herself into the sides of the cage. The farmer I did the trade with, said that it shouldn’t hurt to put her in with the girls. I did that, and they’re pecking her. Nothing too bad, the pecking doesn’t last long and there’s no blood or feather picking. She seems to be staying by herself, though. Should I try to separate her again?

First time having chickens!

Make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink, and that they are not drawing blood. Integration is generally not a smooth process.
No blood and she’s getting a lot to eat and drink. Just hate seeing her get her feelings hurt 😭

No blood and she’s getting a lot to eat and drink. Just hate seeing her get her feelings hurt
My goal during integration is that no one gets injured. That's it, nothing more complicated than that. All that buddy buddy one flock stuff will come later as long as no one gets injured. To me it sounds like you are off to a good start.

It would be easier if there were at least new two ones being introduced. The more room you have the better. But it is what it is. if you can get through the next few days without anyone getting injured you are in good shape. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom