Treating upper respiratory infections

His breathing has become more RATTLED. He is noticeably tired and it was raining the biggest part of the day and I guess while I was at work the flock ran him out of the main coop (that is heated)
so he was stuck out in the 40 degree weather (under the coop)
So when I got home and realized this I put him inside the coop with a 250-watt heat lamp (I know I should keep him out of their living quarters) but I don't have another option right now.

I put the Duramycin-10 in all the waterers. Added electrolytes to the water, hoping for the best and crossing my fingers for the little guy.

He's not showing signs of Newcastle disorder, none that I can see that is.
There's no drainage from his eyes, or beak .. Which gives me some hope!
He's not having trouble keeping balance.

The only obvious problem is the rattled breathing and shortness of breath (he gasp for breath like there's something stuck in his throat)
-- not constantly, but often enough to assume it's due to his illness.

*********** Cross your Fingers and say a prayer for our little SILVEY, it might help him make it through it.

His breathing has become more RATTLED. He is noticeably tired and it was raining the biggest part of the day and I guess while I was at work the flock ran him out of the main coop (that is heated)
so he was stuck out in the 40 degree weather (under the coop)
So when I got home and realized this I put him inside the coop with a 250-watt heat lamp (I know I should keep him out of their living quarters) but I don't have another option right now.

I put the Duramycin-10 in all the waterers. Added electrolytes to the water, hoping for the best and crossing my fingers for the little guy.

He's not showing signs of Newcastle disorder, none that I can see that is.
There's no drainage from his eyes, or beak .. Which gives me some hope!
He's not having trouble keeping balance.

The only obvious problem is the rattled breathing and shortness of breath (he gasp for breath like there's something stuck in his throat)
-- not constantly, but often enough to assume it's due to his illness.

*********** Cross your Fingers and say a prayer for our little SILVEY, it might help him make it through it.

You can do a modified isolation by using a wire cage or pet cage of some sort. Giving him separate eating and drinking containers will help keep spread of infection down.

I repeat: TYLAN 50 is your best shot for recovery at this point. If it is a cost issue, I understand. But, Duramycin is a very mild form of antibiotic, and oral meds do not get absorbed as well as injections. Injecting goes straight to the system, oral antibiotic does not completely saturate the system like injections due to many factors.

In any case, keeping him warm is good. Your best hope for recovery is a serious injectable antibiotic.
I hope your little guy makes it!

Last edited:
Where do I get an injection of TYLAN-50, Tractor Supply only had the Tylan-50 and I asked them if they had an injection of it and they said it's for LIVESTOCK only.

I'm not seeing any difference myself, I just think the guy who works there is not aware that it's safe for poultry as well.

This Duramycin-10 isn't going to be a miracle drug like Tylan-50 (hence the price difference)

But i'll go grab some tomorrow at TSC and try it..

I've never injected a chicken, can ANYONE tell me how to do this by myself.
????
~Thanks

Here is a very valuable link of step by step instructions for administering injections in chickens:

http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

See in my previous post the doseage for your bird. If he is a larger size bantam, you can give him the 1/2cc, but if he is tiny give him the 1/4cc at least 2x's daily. It sounds like he will need the 3x's daily to knock this out as he seems like he is getting worse.

Dose all chickens that show any signs also. Pick them up and listen to their body for any mucous like breathing, any bad odor from the head/nose area, or any face swelling and/or eye discharge.
Keep a record of when you start injections and follow through for the complete five days.

Last edited:
And yes, the Tylan 50 can be used on chickens-just stick to the cc's I outlined in the previous posts. Purchase the bottle at Tractor Supply and some syringes and needles to draw up the medicine yourself. You want to give it SUBCUTANEOUSLY-only put the needle in about 1/4 inch.

Get at least 5 needles. They can be sterilized by boiling to keep cost down, but sterilizing is critical if you reuse the syringes and needles. The needles will get dull after about 3 to 4 uses, so you will have to dispose of them then, if not sooner.

Last edited:
OK, I bought some Tylan-50 after running around all morning ... I finally found it 30 miles from here!
Now that I've got it and I've read all the instructions you've provided in the link above, I have one more question..

Is there ANY other location on the bird where I can inject the needle?

A girl at TSC told me that she injects her Rhode Island Reds in the neck, said that she puts it in the back of their necks.???

I'm just SO scared that I will seriously harm the bird if I go into the breast b/c I am the definitions example for MURPHY'S LAW!!
(If it can happen then It will happen)

And I'm going to have to ask my neighbor to help me hold him while I do it.. But he may not be available for the next injection.

Do you think it's safe for my Pregnant wife to handle a sick chicken??

OK, I bought some Tylan-50 after running around all morning ... I finally found it 30 miles from here!
Now that I've got it and I've read all the instructions you've provided in the link above, I have one more question..

Is there ANY other location on the bird where I can inject the needle?

A girl at TSC told me that she injects her Rhode Island Reds in the neck, said that she puts it in the back of their necks.???

I'm just SO scared that I will seriously harm the bird if I go into the breast b/c I am the definitions example for MURPHY'S LAW!!
(If it can happen then It will happen)

And I'm going to have to ask my neighbor to help me hold him while I do it.. But he may not be available for the next injection.

Do you think it's safe for my Pregnant wife to handle a sick chicken??
I inject mine direct in the sinus with LA 120 I save many birds with this method, even pheasants and turkeys were been saved.
yesss.gif

Last edited:
Besides the breast, you can inject at the base of the neck on the back between the shoulders. Separate the feathers and pull up the loose skin. You want to inject not too deeply, and definitely do not push the needle through the other side.
Because the tylan antibiotic removes both good and bad bacteria, you shoul let the chicken eat yogurt with live or active cultures-you can offer plain or a berry fruit he might like. Some chickens will devour the yogurt, some will lightly sample it. They dont need a whole container, offer a tablespoon or more a couple times a day.

Injections for the first time will be scary, but my 14 year old son has done it before. You should do okay. Remember to swab the injection site first with alcohol too.

Most chicken issues are not transferable to humans. Your wife should be ok-she could wear gloves, the dish washing kind, or medical type, or even just a knit winter type. Make sure to keep the gloves in an area away from other chickens and either throw them away, or wash them after completing treatment.

Ok,
I got the 1st Injection in him.. I don't feel like we gave him enough.. But at least it's somewhat in his system.
I tried to follow the instructions in the link above, but the syringes I bought kept getting air pockets in them every time I flicked it trying to remove any air.

I'll put 1/2 a CC in him later tonight, just to ensure he's getting a stronger dosage.

The air thing can be tricky. If you follow this to the letter, you should be able to remove all air...
From the injection link I listed above:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Take your first syringe and needle. Take off the needle cover carefully. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Before putting the syringe in the med bottle, pull air into the syringe the same amount of air as medicine that you will be pulling. For example, if you are going to use 1 cc of medicine, pull a teensy bit over 1 cc of air into the syringe.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Now, holding the med bottle bottom up, gently put the needle into the med bottle. The medicine will automatically start to fill the syringe for you. Pull a little more than needed out, then thump the syringe with your fingers before pulling it out of the bottle. This puts the air bubble at the top. Press the plunger gently to push the air bubble into the bottle and get to only the amount of medicine you need. Then pull the needle out and put the cap on. Repeat for all the syringes you'll need at that moment. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The dose you gave him and adding the second dose tonight (try and wait as long as you can before 2nd dose), will help him tremendously. By tomorrow evening he should show signs of feeling much better. Remember to continue for FIVE days even if he seems recovered earlier than that.[/FONT]

Hope this helps you! The more you treat him, the more you will get the hang of it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom