Tube feeding

More questions, is his crop functioning properly? How does his poop look? How much did he weigh when you started tube feeding? For his weight and age, I suspect he's not getting enough nutrients. Unlike an adult bird, his body is still using up a lot of nutrients to grow, and now heal. How is his crop feeling after what I suspect is 18ml total of tubed contents. If his crop feels fairly full, instead of giving him 5ml of water after tubing 13ml of formula+water, I would give him 18ml of mixed bird formula. If he was my little guy, I'd try to fit in a couple more feedings on top of what you've been doing every 24 hours. Just check his crop to make sure everything is moving and is empty/nearly empty before proceeding.
It's a good practice to weigh him first thing every morning with an empty crop, before he's had anything tubed. You don't want to see this number drop.
Another thing that crossed my mind was his wounds. Are you giving him an antibiotic? With exposed bone, I'm sure you're worried.
Poor little guy. It sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of him 💜 I'm cheering for him to make a full recovery!
I should have read your reply before replying. Great post, Heather!

7 months later, my lil guy is alive and well! He even started crowing 😁 He is missing an eye but he's starting to get the hang of it. They are very impressive animals! You all helped me a lot thank you 💜
View attachment 3294295

As long as he's hydrated, he doesn't need water in addition to the formula.

Start each morning by getting a proper weight on him with an empty crop. Write it down with the date. Make your formula and feed him until he is full but not too full. About where I marked on the diagram. Record the time and amount that you fed. Check crop throughout the day. When it's getting empty, do another feeding. I personally would not feed past 7:30 p.m. that way he has plenty of time for his crop to clear overnight for his morning weight check.

More questions, is his crop functioning properly? How does his poop look? How much did he weigh when you started tube feeding? For his weight and age, I suspect he's not getting enough nutrients. Unlike an adult bird, his body is still using up a lot of nutrients to grow, and now heal. How is his crop feeling after what I suspect is 18ml total of tubed contents. If his crop feels fairly full, instead of giving him 5ml of water after tubing 13ml of formula+water, I would give him 18ml of mixed bird formula. If he was my little guy, I'd try to fit in a couple more feedings on top of what you've been doing every 24 hours. Just check his crop to make sure everything is moving and is empty/nearly empty before proceeding.
It's a good practice to weigh him first thing every morning with an empty crop, before he's had anything tubed. You don't want to see this number drop.
Another thing that crossed my mind was his wounds. Are you giving him an antibiotic? With exposed bone, I'm sure you're worried.
Poor little guy. It sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of him 💜 I'm cheering for him to make a full recovery!

Attachments

• 20230428_191850.jpg
    20230428_191850.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230428_191849.jpg
    20230428_191849.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom