Turkey Poult going INSANE

SavKel&RynKel

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 16, 2018
FoCo, Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
In the last hour, one of my 1.5 week old poults has started running up and down the pin, "crying" (like the where are you chirp), trying to jump out like a mad turkey, and generally scaring his 9 brooder mates. I am afraid its losing it's mind. I really don't know what to do. It's been eating and drinking, has no pastey butt or anything wrong with it on the outside. Anyone had this happen? I mean I guess we'll see how tonight goes but I am afraid its going to give itself a heart attack. Nothing has changed in the brooder except we separated the chicks out this morning.

Turkeys hate change. It's probably looking for the chicks. It will get over it in a few days.
Oh I hope so. I tried putting him in with the chick's but that only worked for so before he did it again probably looking for the other poults. So he'll just have to work through it with his siblings. But geez he is loud! :oops:

Oh I hope so. I tried putting him in with the chick's but that only worked for so before he did it again probably looking for the other poults. So he'll just have to work through it with his siblings. But geez he is loud! :oops:
Turkey are obnoxious birds for sure. When I moved last year's poults to a bigger brooder the goofs stood in a corner in a huddle for 2 nights straight before adjusting.

The real fun stuff is ahead of you as they get more mobile. Mine have been known to fly out of the pen and come meet me halfway to put them back in. As teenagers they are gang of thugs, and are into everything if allowed. Mine love construction sounds, especially a drill.

Turkey are obnoxious birds for sure. When I moved last year's poults to a bigger brooder the goofs stood in a corner in a huddle for 2 nights straight before adjusting.

The real fun stuff is ahead of you as they get more mobile. Mine have been known to fly out of the pen and come meet me halfway to put them back in. As teenagers they are gang of thugs, and are into everything if allowed. Mine love construction sounds, especially a drill.
Haha. Oh yay! Luckily we're transferring them to a friends pasture when big enough and he gets to deal with the craziness for a few months too. Sharing is caring after all... :p

Back
Top Bottom