Using a Space Heater as a Temporary Heat Source & Bald Bumps Near Chicks' Shoulder/Neck

Jimin

Songster
Feb 8, 2019
Hello :)

I recently got 12 assorted baby chicks (around 3 days old) but couldn't find a heat lamp safe enough for my brooder. I'm using a very large rabbit cage with a deep thick plastic bottom. I covered the ground of the brooder with newspaper and then a layer of pine shavings.

My dad placed the cage in front of our gas heater which the chicks absolutely loved. They snuggled up against the side closest to the heater and roamed around freely after warming up. The gas heater however made the entire house feel like a furnace, so I used my spaced heater instead. I placed it only a few inches away from the side of the cage setting the temperature to be 95 degrees and since I'm paranoid I microwaved 2 socks filled with rice and placed them inside the brooder as well. The chicks loved it. Once they're heated up they just roam walk around and then come back whenever the want to warm up again.

Even though this was just a temporary set up, I was wondering if I should continue doing this since it does save me some money or should I just go out and buy a heat lamp? I'm quite paranoid of the bulb falling and starting a fire but I can't afford one of those chick plate heaters. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also two of my chicks have balding patches near their shoulders/necks they eat and drink just fine and their behavior seems normal. Should I be concerned?

I use your every day 100 watt light bulb. It works great between 8-14 inches depending on what your temp is. I hate heat lamps and worry about fires but with the 100 watt I don't worry too much.

I haven't heard of using a space heater successfully for any length of time.
Don't buy a heat lamp. Read this:
Kick The Heat Lamp: Better, Safer And Healthier Options To Heat Your Brooder

Do you have a heating pad? One that doesn't turn off automatically after 2 hours? You can build a nice raised "cave" that simulates a broody mama hen. It doesn't heat the entire area... chicks need to be able to escape the heat if needed. Being exposed to cooler air is actually beneficial... helps them acclimate to their surroundings and feather out quicker. Chicks raised this way are often completely done with supplemental heat by 3 to 5 weeks.
Mama Heating Pad
Pseudo Brooder Heater ‘Plate’
These above methods are cheaper versions of a heating plate, which allows chicks to come and go as they please, and also exposes them to natural day and night cycles.

brooder1a-5-14.jpg brooder1c5-24.jpg
I raised my 2nd batch of chicks with a homemade heat plate and will never use a lamp again. After about 2 wks they spent most of their time on top. Since you have 12 chicks, you would need to make a very sturdy one in case most of them hop on top, you don't want any still underneath to get crushed.

If you can post pics of your chicks' shoulders we'd be able to tell a little better what's going on. But chicks molt several times during their first few months so they could just be going through feather changes. Mine appeared to have bald patches in odd spots occasionally but it never lasted long.

Are you feeding the chick starter?
Or what was the rice for?
Thank you for the light bulb suggestion earlier! I think I'll try it.

I don't use chick starter since my local pet store only offered medicated which my dad was highly against. So I use oatmeal which I blended in a food processor until it became like sand, mix in with a little bit of gritz, and smashed boiled eggs with the shells. As a treat I sprinkle some toasted peanut skins (not shells).

I put the rice in tied up socks and microwaved them for about 75 seconds and put them inside the brooder. It's essentially just a warm pillow for the chicks to snuggle on. They also like to play with them; curious as to what's inside they like to go inside the tide off part of the socks or try to pick at the rice inside. It's really cute.

I haven't heard of using a space heater successfully for any length of time.
Don't buy a heat lamp. Read this:
Kick The Heat Lamp: Better, Safer And Healthier Options To Heat Your Brooder

Do you have a heating pad? One that doesn't turn off automatically after 2 hours? You can build a nice raised "cave" that simulates a broody mama hen. It doesn't heat the entire area... chicks need to be able to escape the heat if needed. Being exposed to cooler air is actually beneficial... helps them acclimate to their surroundings and feather out quicker. Chicks raised this way are often completely done with supplemental heat by 3 to 5 weeks.
Mama Heating Pad
Pseudo Brooder Heater ‘Plate’

These above methods are cheaper versions of a heating plate, which allows chicks to come and go as they please, and also exposes them to natural day and night cycles.

View attachment 1667094 View attachment 1667095
I raised my 2nd batch of chicks with a homemade heat plate and will never use a lamp again. After about 2 wks they spent most of their time on top. Since you have 12 chicks, you would need to make a very sturdy one in case most of them hop on top, you don't want any still underneath to get crushed.

If you can post pics of your chicks' shoulders we'd be able to tell a little better what's going on. But chicks molt several times during their first few months so they could just be going through feather changes. Mine appeared to have bald patches in odd spots occasionally but it never lasted long.
Hello! Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I think I might try the cave idea it's so innovative haha. I woke up this morning to find that my heater was propped up by my dad last night which caused a draft of hot air and 4/12 of my chicks had pasty butt but I simply soaked them off with warm water and cotton swabs in my kitchen sink. I re-adjusted the heater to not cause a draft and the little ones are doing just fine.

I also attached a photo of one of my balding chicks. I'm pretty sure the hatchery sent her as an "extra" since she is one of the smaller chicks unless she's a difrerent breed. Honestly, I can't tell which breed is which except for the noticable color differences. They're all less than 4 days old now but they all eat, drink, sleep, and poop just fine. The balding just made me a bit worried. I read on a different forum from I think 2011? But they had a similar problem and said it was their crop, but I've never seen a featherless balding crop before. I felt it before and it's not hard like a tumor either. Sometimes it inflates and swells other times it's just fine.

Attachments

• 2019-02-08-08-16-15.jpg
    2019-02-08-08-16-15.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 135

I don't use chick starter since my local pet store only offered medicated which my dad was highly against. So I use oatmeal which I blended in a food processor until it became like sand, mix in with a little bit of gritz, and smashed boiled eggs with the shells. As a treat I sprinkle some toasted peanut skins (not shells).

I put the rice in tied up socks and microwaved them for about 75 seconds and put them inside the brooder. It's essentially just a warm pillow for the chicks to snuggle on. They also like to play with them; curious as to what's inside they like to go inside the tide off part of the socks or try to pick at the rice inside. It's really cute.
Do you live in the US?
I would encourage you to feed your chicks chick starter, this if formulated with the proper nutrients that your growing chicks need.
In the US medicated feed usually contains a very small amount of Amprolium. This is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. It is not harmful and can help chicks not become overloaded by Coccidia, a protozoa that is found in poop and soil. Chicks will build resistance over time.
I do understand a lot of people don't want to use medicated feed, but again if that's all that's available, it's better than making your own.

The bald spot on your chick looks like it's at her crop. Probably one of the other chicks pecked off some of her fluff. Just watch that area, once she starts growing in new feathers it should be covered up fine.

I do agree whole heartedly with @FlappyFeathers using a heating pad system works very well.

Welcome! You should be feeding a chick or balanced all-flock feed, not home made, and not your current recipe. The heating pad can work very well if it's set up correctly, or order a chick heating plate, or very carefully use a heat lamp. Premier1supplies.com has very good products, check them out if you are in the USA.
Amprolium in chick starter is approved for organic too, and not a problem in any way for the babies!
Rather than a pet store, find a feed store, or two, for a better range of products!
ALWAYS check the mill date on each bag of feed; it's usually on the bottom strip that holds the bag together. It's best to feed within eight weeks of the mill date, as some of the vitamins in the feed will be lost over time. I've seen feed older than six months at feed stores! Just buy fresh to be safe.
Mary

If I ever don't use broody hen I'll be using that system!

Ditto on the food - please get them something that will enable them the nutrients to grow and develop properly. What you are currently feeding is kind of like feeding a baby only white bread - they just can't thrive.

Good on you for asking lots of questions to help get your chicks what they need :D

Ok. I would really try to get them on starter so they get all the nutrients they need.

Back
Top Bottom