vaccinating chickens for marek's disease

Verbon30

Songster
Jul 23, 2019
Lakeland FL
I have 10 chicken but all vaccination seem to come in 1000 dose. Seems like a waste. I keep a clean coop and don't have a lot of spare cash. Do I really need to vaccinate my chickens for marek's disease. I have silkies and a few amaraucana.

Have you raised your chickens from chicks? If so chances are if they aren't infected now they won't be unless you bring it in from outside--i.e. buy birds from another source or have someone come in who's chickens have it.

Unless they are vaccinated before they have any contact with the Marek's virus vaccination is unlikely to do any good. The vaccination for chickens is Turkey Marek's. Turkey Marek's will not do any harm to chickens but it will stop Chicken Marek's from developing the lesions that do all the damage. It is still possible for vaccinated chickens to get Marek's and be carriers but due to the Turkey Marek's vaccination they will not show symptoms. They need to be kept away from other chickens that might have Marek's for a couple of week after vaccination to give it time to take effect.

Do you need to vaccinate your new chicks? How prevalent is Marek's in your area or especially in your flock? Before I got my chickens I talked to the extension agent who put me in touch with a chicken disease expert. He said there had been one confirmed cases of Marek's in my county in the pat two years and that was on the far side of the county. I did not consider that a major threat. Besides, I hatch chicks with broody hens. There is no way I could let a hen hatch chicks and protect those chicks against Marek's by vaccinating.

I don't know how much good it would do you to vaccinate fro Marek's. For some people it is the right answer, for me it is not.

Where would i find out How prevalent is Marek's in your area? I been doing reading and silkie are more prone to marek's is why I ask.i have never had a sick chicken like I said I keep a clean coop.

The way I did it was to call my county extension agent. Some agents are better than others.

You might call the Ag Department of your state land grant university and talk to them. There is a real good chance they have someone with knowledge. In Florida that's the University of Florida or Florida A&M.

Go talk to your local librarian. They may be able to help you look it up. Personally I'd prefer to talk to a human than read about it, I think you are more likely to get help. It's hard to get an opinion from a report.

Well I have bad social anxiety I'm a bit of a shut in. I don't do well talking to people. I live in Florida all so (Lakeland). So I'm guessing I better just bite the bullet and do it

Chicks ordered from most hatcheries can be vaccinated there before shipping, and then must be isolated from the virus for two weeks or so. Home raised chicks can be vaccinated out of the incubator, and again, need that isolation. If Marek's disease already exists in your flock, vaccinating broody raised birds won't help them.
Avoiding diseases means practicing rigid biosecurity, and being blessed with no close neighbors with diseased flocks. It can be done, by being careful, and lucky. :old
When I order hatchery chicks, they are vaccinated there, and isolated at home for two to three weeks.
Chicks hatched here aren't vaccinated, and so far Marek's disease hasn't arrived in my flock. :fl
I never bring in outside birds, except for those hatchery chicks!
Mary

Biosecurity! Wear your 'barn shoes' only at home at the coop, never out. After going to a poultry event, even as a spectator, wash everything, including shoes, immediately. Do all you can to avoid bringing bad things home. Visitors who have chickens? Either no visits, or wearing clean outfits, including shoes.
Do your best, and be glad if you can prevent difficulties.
Mary

Marek's is in my soil apparently. The only chickens of mine who have contracted it are the polish. I don't, and won't, vaccinate because it doesn't prevent it. It only keeps them from developing the tumors. I would rather lose the susceptible ones than continue breeding them. I haven't had any issues in a few years now.

Back
Top Bottom