Vent gleet/infection.

Attachments

• D3E1B6D2-369B-4E37-BE94-E379FDCDC27D.jpeg
    D3E1B6D2-369B-4E37-BE94-E379FDCDC27D.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 3
  • B0B416A2-8065-4774-ACB4-143F9D640B41.jpeg
    B0B416A2-8065-4774-ACB4-143F9D640B41.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 3
That does look like a lash egg to me. :( Which would mean she has salpingitis, it is an infection and inflammation of the oviduct. There is no cure. The only thing you can do is drain her abdomen of fluid once it starts to fill up, but that just makes her more comfortable and does not cure the salpingitis.

I actually got it out and started her on oxytetracycline.
It was definitely part egg and part lash egg
Did you happen to cut it open?

It does looks like some lash material, exudes and wrapped up membranes.
Good move on starting her on the Oxy. The meds may help with infection. While the condition still exists, medication can sometimes make a difference.

Did you happen to cut it open?

It does looks like some lash material, exudes and wrapped up membranes.
Good move on starting her on the Oxy. The meds may help with infection. While the condition still exists, medication can sometimes make a difference.
I did press into it. Definitely lash. It smelled so bad.
I started her on the Oxy but have seen mixed things about dosage.
I’m not sure how to tell now when she’s better or not

I did press into it. Definitely lash. It smelled so bad.
I started her on the Oxy but have seen mixed things about dosage.
I’m not sure how to tell now when she’s better or not
Dosing is a bit puzzling on the Oxy unlike other meds. These 2 threads is the closest I've ever come up with.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ytetracycline-injections.713434/post-12167727
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/

A lot of folks use Baytril, but it is banned for use in poultry, so it would be up to you to do research and determine if it's something you want to use.

I don't know when to say she's "better" or not. You report that she's been eating and not lethargic, just seemed to be struggling pushing out the lash/egg material.
I'd definitely get some Calcium into her as well. Since you are giving Oxy, there can be a contraindication with Calcium, so don't give her both at the same time, space it apart a few hours at least. Calcium may help with contractions, so if she's got more material in the oviduct to expel, it may make it easier.

Is her abdomen bloated at all?
It may be some. She seems uncomfortable when I pick her up.
She seemed better this morning, pooped a good bit last night and ate good this morning. Just went to give her shot and her crop is not normal. It’s a little hard. I massaged a little. She pooped out some clear liquid with a little yellow and white in it and then a small piece of what looked like the infection I got out.
Will give calcium in the morning again and call vet to see if she has a spot Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom