Ventilation inspiration from a teepee

With a fire or stove, rain and snow would be absorbed into vapor in the hot air and/or pushed out. Without that - wouldn't it come in?
You could give it a chimney cover type of thing, like this:
1664895268937.png

Though I imagine the little roof thing would need to have massive overhangs to keep snow from blowing in from the sides. The teepee would need some serious modifications to the design for this to work... A fun challenge for somebody with a lot of time on their hands, but I'm guessing overall less practical than a standard coop.

Here's a photo scavenged from the 'net, that shows the liner. They can be short, like this one, or much taller:

View attachment 3279218

This site has a pretty good basic description and illustration of the components and how they work in different weather conditions:
https://www.telli.com/page/siouxtipi

So.... I'm thinking the challenge is to build a wooden pyramid-like structure with a liner option for winter, for a chicken coop. Might be a great project!
I visited an arts & crafts festival yesterday, which is themed on life in 1855. Part of the exhibits were a group of fur trappers, one of whom had a bonafide teepee set up with full furnishings and paraphernalia of the time period and culture. (He explains this as (in character) that he's married to a Native American and so, the teepee is their home instead of a trapper's traditional tent or dugout.) He had a fire pit in the center, cooking his dinner. So of course the conversation turned to how it never gets smoky inside, and how it stays warm in winter with that big hole.

Well, my chicken friends, I had an eye-opening experience studying the construction of this teepee, and it explains VERY well how proper ventilation pulls moist air (or in his case, smoky air) out, yet keeps the interior warm and draft-free.

I am very sorry I did not take a photo for you. But I'll try to explain.

It's not just a simple smoke-hole at the top, although there was a sizeable one in this teepee. This is the secret: There was a double layer to the walls. The outer layer (what you normally think of with a teepee) went almost - but not quite - all the way to the ground and up to the top of the apex, or smoke hole, oh maybe 18-20-feet high. There was an inner layer of fabric/leather/canvas that went all the way around the inside of the teepee, but only about 5' high, affixed to the teepee poles. This layer bunched a little on the ground on the inside, and was placed on the inside of the teepee poles, so that there was a 3-4-inch air gap between inner and outer layers all the way around. (Standing up, you could put your hand and arm into the gap between these layers.)

This design allows for cold outside air to enter below the bottom edge of the outer layer, and is pulled upwards by rising heat from the inside. This rising heat actually creates a sort-of vaccuum that pulls air inside and up. The inner layer protects from drafts and keeps it warm. He can control the amount of air movement by lowering or raising the flaps on the outside layer. In summertime, the inner layer and/or outer layer flaps can be removed or raised as well for better cooling effect.

Amazing, eh?
Do you think this concept work with a rectangular shape? My dad and I are building a chicken coop and I have an idea of how to use this concept to keep the chickens warm in the winter. The coop will be inside a secure angle iron and hardware cloth run, so predators should not be an issue. My idea is to have the coop 5' tall (plus a 6" center-peaked roof), 6' wide and 4' deep (and 18" off the ground). On the back side of the coop add a 4' interior wall a few inches (2-3") from the back outer wall with the space between the back wall and inner wall open at the bottom. There will also be ventilation in the eaves and the highest roost wood be a foot below the top of the inner wall. I "think" the air would flow up between the inner and outer wall and out the top ventilation without a breeze bothering the chickens. I will add windows that can be opened in the warmer times of the year.

This seems like a case of trying to make a space for people into a coop for chickens.

While interesting in theory it doesn't seem very practical or realistic given the requirements for chickens.

Its a fun thought exercise nonetheless.

Do you think this concept work with a rectangular shape? My dad and I are building a chicken coop and I have an idea of how to use this concept to keep the chickens warm in the winter. The coop will be inside a secure angle iron and hardware cloth run, so predators should not be an issue. My idea is to have the coop 5' tall (plus a 6" center-peaked roof), 6' wide and 4' deep (and 18" off the ground). On the back side of the coop add a 4' interior wall a few inches (2-3") from the back outer wall with the space between the back wall and inner wall open at the bottom. There will also be ventilation in the eaves and the highest roost wood be a foot below the top of the inner wall. I "think" the air would flow up between the inner and outer wall and out the top ventilation without a breeze bothering the chickens. I will add windows that can be opened in the warmer times of the year.
I think it does sound good in theory. You would have to build it to see if it works this way. I'm imagining you could build the structure with four normal walls, but leave the back outer wall open at the bottom like you planned. Then put a temporary "wall" inside, even if it's just plastic or a tarp, or a piece of plywood wedged into place, something. Test it over a few days, to see how the air flow behaves. I LOVE the idea!

This seems like a case of trying to make a space for people into a coop for chickens.

While interesting in theory it doesn't seem very practical or realistic given the requirements for chickens.

Its a fun thought exercise nonetheless.
It's just a thought exercise for ventilation without drafts. I currently have campers for my coops. Spaces designed for people, but being utilized for chickens. Quite well, in fact. Why not?

I think what I'm trying to get away from are open gaps in the coop, like open windows or vents, where wind could blow directly in and make it drafty. The liner doesn't have to be fabric or plastic; it could be an interior wooden wall, spaced a few inches inside of an outer wall. But just like @ChickChickChickyBaby described above, outer wall open at the bottom, inner wall open at the top. Even without a heat source inside to draw the airflow upwards and out, it would still add plenty of ventilation but without drafts, open windows or vents, etc.

Back
Top Bottom