VetRX not working

sean_wonder

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens have a respiratory infection; snot, sneezing, a little bit of audible breathing, the whole shebang. Some have it worse than others. The snot is clear and not at all sticky, there's no discharge from their eyes, the inside of their mouths are clear and healthy looking, they've got their normal, voracious appetites and otherwise behave perfectly normal. One of my chickens has a few scabs on her comb, but she's the lowest in the order. I've started applying vaseline to her comb so it tastes gross when she gets pecked.

Anyway, I started by doing VetRX under the wings for two weeks. Nothing happened. I've given them at least three-four drops it orally for the past week and a half. Nothing has happened. They're still sick. I'm now rubbing a small amount of VetRX on their noses and combs and putting a little bit in her water. I've been doing VetRX almost nightly for at least a month, and they're just gradually getting more sick... so what am I doing wrong?

VetRX isn't a cure all, it's used in addition with antibiotics. A respiratory infection needs to be treated with antibiotics especially if it's not going away. If you cannot get to a vet, I'm sure others on here can give you other options.

VetRx will not treat a respiratory infection.
Respiratory infections are typically treated with tylosin.
If you can find or have Tylan 50 (available at most TSC stores), you can draw out the solution using a needle and syringe, then remove the needle and dose it orally at a rate of 1/2cc per large size bird twice daily for 5 to 7 days.
If you are comfortable doing it, you can also inject the Tylan 50 subcutaneously at the same dosage, twice daily for 5 days. The birds will respond faster using injections vs. oral but oral will work.
Injections can be given on the back near the base of the neck or on the breast. Alternate injection sites with each injection if that is your preferred method of administration. Only insert the needle about 1/4", just below the skin. If you have a helper you can lift the skin to form a tent and inject in the triangle area of the tent. You can look up how to give injections to chickens on YouTube.

My chickens have a respiratory infection; snot, sneezing, a little bit of audible breathing, the whole shebang. Some have it worse than others. The snot is clear and not at all sticky, there's no discharge from their eyes, the inside of their mouths are clear and healthy looking, they've got their normal, voracious appetites and otherwise behave perfectly normal. One of my chickens has a few scabs on her comb, but she's the lowest in the order. I've started applying vaseline to her comb so it tastes gross when she gets pecked.

Anyway, I started by doing VetRX under the wings for two weeks. Nothing happened. I've given them at least three-four drops it orally for the past week and a half. Nothing has happened. They're still sick. I'm now rubbing a small amount of VetRX on their noses and combs and putting a little bit in her water. I've been doing VetRX almost nightly for at least a month, and they're just gradually getting more sick... so what am I doing wrong?
Can you post some photos please?
eating/drinking/behaving perfectly normal....how much ventilation do you have in your coop? (photos)

Could be respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis which is a virus, uncomplicated it should run it's course in several weeks, but can make birds carriers for up to a year.

Ventilation is excellent-- mesh screen in the back which I can close with solid door, and there's cracks around all the door frames and poop boards. I use pelleted bedding in there. I shine a flashlight in there every morning (cause I clean the poop out every morning at 6:30 am so it's still dark out) and see little to no dust.

They've been sick for several weeks and not getting better, only more sneezy. Also damn, I thought VetRX was the cure-all for respiratory illnesses.

Vet Rx is an herbal oil remedy, and has no medicinal or antibiotic properties. It is similar to Vicks, but with some herbal oils thrown in.

Respiratory diseases can be from viruses, bacteria, or fungus. Only a bacterial infection would be helped with antibiotics. MG is one that might respond to Tylan or oxytetracycline. If they have infectious bronchitis virus, then no antibiotic will help, but the disease should only last about a month. IB may also cause a decrease in laying, wrinkled or thin egg shells, and it affects chicks much worse than adults. Can you try to get some testing done through your state vet? Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

You can look for Tylan injectable in feed stores and sometimes the oral powder is available online.

Is there any way I can use Tylosin with the soluble powder instead of the injections? If so what’s that dosage?

Back
Top Bottom