VetRX not working

sean_wonder

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens have a respiratory infection; snot, sneezing, a little bit of audible breathing, the whole shebang. Some have it worse than others. The snot is clear and not at all sticky, there's no discharge from their eyes, the inside of their mouths are clear and healthy looking, they've got their normal, voracious appetites and otherwise behave perfectly normal. One of my chickens has a few scabs on her comb, but she's the lowest in the order. I've started applying vaseline to her comb so it tastes gross when she gets pecked.

Anyway, I started by doing VetRX under the wings for two weeks. Nothing happened. I've given them at least three-four drops it orally for the past week and a half. Nothing has happened. They're still sick. I'm now rubbing a small amount of VetRX on their noses and combs and putting a little bit in her water. I've been doing VetRX almost nightly for at least a month, and they're just gradually getting more sick... so what am I doing wrong?

VetRx will not treat a respiratory infection.
Respiratory infections are typically treated with tylosin.
If you can find or have Tylan 50 (available at most TSC stores), you can draw out the solution using a needle and syringe, then remove the needle and dose it orally at a rate of 1/2cc per large size bird twice daily for 5 to 7 days.
If you are comfortable doing it, you can also inject the Tylan 50 subcutaneously at the same dosage, twice daily for 5 days. The birds will respond faster using injections vs. oral but oral will work.
Injections can be given on the back near the base of the neck or on the breast. Alternate injection sites with each injection if that is your preferred method of administration. Only insert the needle about 1/4", just below the skin. If you have a helper you can lift the skin to form a tent and inject in the triangle area of the tent. You can look up how to give injections to chickens on YouTube.

Does it look like IB from the pictures?
I don’t see anything that screams MG or other diseases, but it would require testing to say 100% that they have IB virus. They seem pretty bright-eyed. I would just keep an eye on them, make sure they are eating and drinking well, and make sure their coop is dry with fresh bedding, and good air circulation. Stuffy coops with moisture or ammonia odors can make it much easier to get repiratory infections. Good luck.

VetRX isn't a cure all, it's used in addition with antibiotics. A respiratory infection needs to be treated with antibiotics especially if it's not going away. If you cannot get to a vet, I'm sure others on here can give you other options.

My chickens have a respiratory infection; snot, sneezing, a little bit of audible breathing, the whole shebang. Some have it worse than others. The snot is clear and not at all sticky, there's no discharge from their eyes, the inside of their mouths are clear and healthy looking, they've got their normal, voracious appetites and otherwise behave perfectly normal. One of my chickens has a few scabs on her comb, but she's the lowest in the order. I've started applying vaseline to her comb so it tastes gross when she gets pecked.

Anyway, I started by doing VetRX under the wings for two weeks. Nothing happened. I've given them at least three-four drops it orally for the past week and a half. Nothing has happened. They're still sick. I'm now rubbing a small amount of VetRX on their noses and combs and putting a little bit in her water. I've been doing VetRX almost nightly for at least a month, and they're just gradually getting more sick... so what am I doing wrong?
Can you post some photos please?
eating/drinking/behaving perfectly normal....how much ventilation do you have in your coop? (photos)

Could be respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis which is a virus, uncomplicated it should run it's course in several weeks, but can make birds carriers for up to a year.

Ventilation is excellent-- mesh screen in the back which I can close with solid door, and there's cracks around all the door frames and poop boards. I use pelleted bedding in there. I shine a flashlight in there every morning (cause I clean the poop out every morning at 6:30 am so it's still dark out) and see little to no dust.

They've been sick for several weeks and not getting better, only more sneezy. Also damn, I thought VetRX was the cure-all for respiratory illnesses.

The problem is that since injectable tylan (tylosin) has become scarce, the pigeon companies have been selling out of the tylosin. They should get some back in, but I would check around. Normally, it is obtained by prescription through a vet, but you can get it online without a script for pigeons, usually at jedds or foys. Here is one that states it is instock:
https://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/product/tylosin-powder/

MG is mycoplasma gallisepticum a chronic respiratory disease (also called CRD) that causes sneezing, watery or bubbly eye, sunken eye with conjuctivitis, and may also cause swelling of the eyelids or face from sinus infection. It makes your chickens all carriers for life. If you do not see eye bubbles or swelling of the eye, and only sneezing with some congestion, you may only be dealing with infectious bronchitis (IB.) It makes your chickens all carriers for 5 months up to a year. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

If it is IB, would I still use Tysolin? What can I do to prevent IB in the future? I know about biosecurity and make visitors wash hands before/after as well as wear our specific chicken shoes, so I'm guessing a squirrel carried it in. No new chickens. If it's IB, is the best treatment to let it run its course? Is my daily application of VetRX helping? Also, if VetRX is just a "vapor rub" then when is it appropriate to use?

Back
Top Bottom