Virginia

Why are so many people advertising ISO pullets or chickens stating they want them as old as 12 weeks but not older? I am sure there are reasons but I can only think of two. One they want the girl young so THEY can bond, or two, they dont want to pay the price for a laying hen, they know eventually the girl will lay and so they would rather pay a cheaper price and wait months for the hen to lay. On some cases the type of hen that will live a long time will not start laying till she has had her 8th month birthday. I have hens laying that did not start till the are 8th month. And pullets that that soon be laying that are 7-8 months. They will lay for years to come. They are NOT production chickens. Loads of eggs early, burning out fast. In some instances requesting only chickens under 12 weeks,...THAT person could be getting roos.

Last edited:
Just got our fist egg today from the girls who hatched April 21
Just wanted to let you know that it took ours forever but it will happen!!!

I'm new to this site (I've been looking around for a couple months but I only recently created an account). I just wanted to introduce myself as a Virginian Chicken person. :) I got a clutch of five supposed Barred Rock female chicks in September. One turned out to be a roo, which I guess isn't too bad considering they were a little under four weeks at the time and it was hard to tell. Anyway, one was destroyed by the landlord's dog and he replaced it with one mixed breed pullet and two roos (the roos I returned to him as I already have a roo). I don't eat chicken so my personal goal is a flock of laying hens and companion hens. No judgment on people who do otherwise, though. :)

I live in Stafford County. I am open to and inactively seeking more hens, so if anyone is local and sells hens, I'm all ears. Thank you!

I'm new to this site (I've been looking around for a couple months but I only recently created an account). I just wanted to introduce myself as a Virginian Chicken person.
smile.png
I got a clutch of five supposed Barred Rock female chicks in September. One turned out to be a roo, which I guess isn't too bad considering they were a little under four weeks at the time and it was hard to tell. Anyway, one was destroyed by the landlord's dog and he replaced it with one mixed breed pullet and two roos (the roos I returned to him as I already have a roo). I don't eat chicken so my personal goal is a flock of laying hens and companion hens. No judgment on people who do otherwise, though.
smile.png

I live in Stafford County. I am open to and inactively seeking more hens, so if anyone is local and sells hens, I'm all ears. Thank you!

Sure someone that way can help you out.
And
welcome-byc.gif
VIRGINIA thread.
Hi! The Virginia Poultry Breeder's Association is having their fall show on Nov 21 in Caroline County. Anyone else going?
http://virginiapoultrybreeders.weebly.com/

I wanted to go but my Saturdays are booked for about 3 months . Maybe next year I hope.

Just got our fist egg today from the girls who hatched April 21
Just wanted to let you know that it took ours forever but it will happen!!!

We finally got our first egg this week, from a crested cream leg at who hatched on May 15! She has given us an egg every day so far. Hopefully the other pullets will get the same idea. It is great to have fresh eggs again; we have been relying on commercial eggs since a fox took out the last of mature hens early this year. (Well, with the exception of a Rhode Island Red who had stopped laying long before. She was never much of a producer for some reason, but she sure knows how to outrun a fox.)

I'm new to this site (I've been looking around for a couple months but I only recently created an account). I just wanted to introduce myself as a Virginian Chicken person.
smile.png
I got a clutch of five supposed Barred Rock female chicks in September. One turned out to be a roo, which I guess isn't too bad considering they were a little under four weeks at the time and it was hard to tell. Anyway, one was destroyed by the landlord's dog and he replaced it with one mixed breed pullet and two roos (the roos I returned to him as I already have a roo). I don't eat chicken so my personal goal is a flock of laying hens and companion hens. No judgment on people who do otherwise, though.
smile.png

Welcome former lurker.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom