Vomiting Rooster

Kerioki

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2023
Hello all.

I have a young rooster, about 4 months old. He was fine the entire day but now suddenly he's vomiting. The vomit is a pink colour and I'm pretty sure it's a result of him getting into the cats food. After he vomits he seems to be fine and even tries to eat the vomitšŸ˜– But I don't know. I read around the forum that vomiting is not something a chicken does and that he could asphyxiate. Am I worrying over nothing? Should I do something for him? He vomited 3 times that I saw and each time seems to shrug it off like it's nothing. Even talked back to me when I tried holding himšŸ¤Ø Any advice is appreciated.

Can you catch him and feel of his crop, to see if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or squishy/puffy? I would separate him, and put water and a small amount of poultry grit in his cage. Recheck his crop in the morning. I would not let the chickens near the cat food.

Can you catch him and feel of his crop, to see if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or squishy/puffy? I would separate him, and put water and a small amount of poultry grit in his cage. Recheck his crop in the morning. I would not let the chickens near the cat food.
Unfortunately it was already late when I posted this and he and his girlfriend were already cuddling in their tree. I tried to lure him down, because contrary to the way he's acting right now he likes my cuddles, but he's not interested. I'll have to check him tomorrow. And yeah I usually don't let them near other animals food but he was a ninja and I saw him too late smh.

Checked his crop this morning and it was empty. He's alert and eating/ drinking as normal. No vomiting so far. He's about the same as he usually is. Hopefully that's a good signšŸ¤ž

An empty crop means that he is better for sure. Chickens do like dry and canned cat food, and may overeat. If your chickens are free range, they need to have some granite poultry grit available in a separate container from their feed in case they cannot find enough grit and tiny rocks in the soil. It helps the gizzard grind up foods other than chicken crumbles.

An empty crop means that he is better for sure. Chickens do like dry and canned cat food, and may overeat. If your chickens are free range, they need to have some granite poultry grit available in a separate container from their feed in case they cannot find enough grit and tiny rocks in the soil. It helps the gizzard grind up foods other than chicken crumbles.
Thanks. I'll look online for the grit. I'll keep monitoring him as well but so far so good. Thank you for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom