Watering Blues (kinda sorta)

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
My little chickadees are a month old now and for about a week the watering situation in their brooder is a hot mess. I changed out the wood chips on Saturday and by that night a section of their brooder is all wet from the waterer and the dang apparatus is empty. I think more from the wood chips soaking up the water than the babies drinking it.

I got a skosh frustrated then got an idea to go back to the Rent A Coop waterer I had purchased with the special end piece. I saw a chick operate it properly and went on about my business because I read somewhere that if one gets it the others will watch and learn. Well, I noticed the water level was NOT moving :idunno so I went back to the waterer I got from TSC (round, place water in, turn upside down, set in place see below) style. They drink from it mighty fine, but it stays full of wood chips and feces (ughh see photo). I am constantly rinsing it out, washing it, and losing the electrolyte stuff therein (sigh).

I am thinking when they get out in coop I can hang it from something elevating it which is probably better all the way around. But for now and future broods, I am wondering if there is some fool-proof waterer for the babies where they won't drown (when newborn) and that won't get as nasty as they grow between birth and going out to their own coop. Geesh.

Guess I'll scoop out these wet chips and put 'em in the compost pile A G A I N!!!

Attachments

• 20220731_172658.jpg
    20220731_172658.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220731_172653.jpg
    20220731_172653.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220731_172644.jpg
    20220731_172644.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220731_172650.jpg
    20220731_172650.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220731_172641.jpg
    20220731_172641.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3
My solution was to get a waterer I could hang in the brooder. I was having the same prblem. First I tried putting it up on a block of wood but that didnt work that well. Hanging it even an inch or two above the litter made a huge difference and I haven't looked back.
Eggscellent. Wouldn't you know it, our brooder is one of those soft, waterproof, pet playpen types as suggested by Oak Abode on YT. But thanks, I can tell that would work. Perhaps going forward I can brood out in the coop.

I elevate my waterer because the little butt holes either poop or as you say bedding. Hubby cut me a heavy chunk of wood that was just big enough to fit under it..at one point I doubled a piece of tape and stuck it on the bottom of the waterer and stuck it to the piece of wood 😂

Eggscellent. Wouldn't you know it, our brooder is one of those soft, waterproof, pet playpen types as suggested by Oak Abode on YT. But thanks, I can tell that would work. Perhaps going forward I can brood out in the coop.
Maybe you can build a wooden stand, that fits in the brooder to hand the waterer from? Or use a heat lamp hanger that stands on its own, and hang it from that. Good luck!

We elevated our waterer on a 12" square stepping stone. It helped to keep the water cleaner. Bonus was that the stone absorbed some of the water every time they knocked it over 🙄. Recommend 2 stones so one can dry while the other is being used. We also learned to skip the tiny chick waterers that are constantly dumped and use one like yours with a wider base😉

Back
Top Bottom