WE have a problem

I noticed a ground squirrel taking residence under my chicken coop, so I put out the "bucket-o-death" trap last night, using BOSS. One dead ground squirrel this morning. It's so nice when a plan actually works.

I noticed a ground squirrel taking residence under my chicken coop, so I put out the "bucket-o-death" trap last night, using BOSS. One dead ground squirrel this morning. It's so nice when a plan actually works.

sad.png
What was your worry about a squirrel?

sad.png
What was your worry about a squirrel?
This ground squirrel was taking up residence under my chicken coop, actually two of them. Today two, tomorrow two dozen. The floor of my chicken coop sits only a few inches off the ground. These squirrels would have nothing better to do than to gnaw away at the plywood bottom of my chicken coop so they can get in and help themselves to the chicken feed. This would open the coop up to rats and who knows what else. I don't think many of us allow rodent infestations around our chicken coops. Would you?

Once I reinforced the coop with hardware cloth (buried a bit of a distance into the ground and at any other vulnerable spots), all was well and I was able to avoid those issues. JJ

Obviously, the bucket works and is a multi-catch, cheap and easy trap. If you don't like to drown the animals and would prefer a quicker death, I use these. Walmart containers for $.97/ea. with cover, a pro model rat snap trap and some bait. Cut a 1.5" hole in one end for access. I set 15-20 of them and hit'em hard.

If you have small chickens that free range, put the trap further into container. I caught a banty that stuck it's head in once.

Back
Top Bottom