We live in Eastern Washington State (desert) and have rattle snakes

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
We live in E. WA, where it is dry, and have rattle snakes here. I was just in my coop to water my birds, and they all hiding. I looked in the pen and there was a 18'' rattle snake. At first I thought it was a bull snake, not wanting to jump to conclusions. I lifted the pen edge so the snake could crawl out from under, which it did. I then nudged the snake along to remove it from our yard, with a long stick. I saw the broad head, and as I moved it with the stick it made an ugly sounding hiss and would shake the tail, rear up and position it self in striking position. I was not too close, since I had the long stick. I will be more care collecting eggs, and where I toss my dog's ball.:sick

Question - did it actually have a rattle? If not, then it was most likely a bull snake. A rattlesnake would have a distinctive rattle, very visible, with a very blunt tip to the tail. Bull snakes, however, will mimic a rattlesnake as a defensive mechanism! It's really fascinating to see - they'll flatten their heads out until you'd swear they were venomous, coil up, and rattle their tails in dry leaves or against the ground, hissing, puffing and striking. However, they are not venomous, and despite urban legend, they can not interbreed with rattlesnakes. For one thing, one gives live birth, and the other lays eggs! Not to mention that bull snakes EAT rattle snakes. Regardless, unless you are absolutely certain of what it is, never take a chance. A rattle snake can strike the full length of its body, and if decapitated, the severed head is capable of administering a bite for up to an hour after death, by reflex - not to mention, the brain can actually remain active and aware for an hour after decapitation. Reptiles are very different from mammals.

I have had 2 other rattle snakes here, the most aggressive was a baby rattle snake WOW! This one had just one small bead on the end of the tail hissed and sounded like hiheh!(hiss) and BFFFT! Tail buzz).

That sounds like it was a rattler... not all rattlesnakes have rattles. They sometimes break off. The buzzing sound is a good indicator although if you live in snake country, you are likely already adept at identifying them. Years ago I was in Saudi Arabia... there, they have a lovely snake called the Sand Viper.... It is just like a rattler with no rattle... and of course deadly poison..... Viper snakes have a very distinctive wide shape to their head and narrow neck as well as the way they coil.

I have them where I live too. I'm always careful walking through any tall grass on my property and carry a stick to beat a path so they are alert to my presence. The only good thing about them is that they keep the rodent population in check. I never really thought about them eating chicken eggs. It would be unpleasant, to say the least, to find a rattlesnake while reaching in to collect eggs.

I hate snakes and scared to death of them too!
I put out fertilizer granules everywhere that my chickens and pets don't go. I even put nice wide path around my runs to keep those things awesome say! I was told the fertilizer burns their skin a and they won't cross it! As for rodents that's why I use traps!

We lived in pit viper country (Okinawa) years ago, and made sure to be VERY careful where we walked, and never to reach into a space blind. Also when in the water, to look out for the MANY dangerous reef critters, including the sea snakes.
I like to know who and what lives where I am, it's just safer.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom