What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Welcome to BYC! Loved your introductory post. :love You're going to be right at home here! Reminds me when I got my first computer and got bombarded with so many questions at work: what kind of computer, how much RAM, how many ROM, and things I don't even remember. When the furor died down and everyone was standing around me in a circle, eager faces expectantly awaiting answers, I stammered out: uh.. a white one.

Yeah, that was me. And I am not blond.

And so the web of lies is weaved lol. But see?! That’s what I’m talking about, I read your entire reply and understood nothing-except Xadidiidles. :)
That means it's a good example of what may happen when you make up a breed
:lau

A sort-of translation:

Are your Xandidiidles from heritage or hatchery lines?
Who did you get these Xandidiidles from?

The same breed can be quite different, depending on who was raising them for the past few years (one person may breed from the prettiest birds, another from the ones that lay the most eggs, another wants the ones that grow fastest so they can be butchered for meat, and so forth.)

Do they show red leakage? Are they barred? Do you have any self-blue Xandidiidles

Questions about specific details of color and pattern on the feathers.

"Self-blue" is a relatively new color (within the last 50 years or so), and exists in only a limited number of breeds, which is why the next question is:

and could I buy some fertile eggs from you if you do?
Fertile eggs are ones the person can put in an incubator and hatch, to have Xandidiidles for themselves.

Welcome to BYC! Loved your introductory post. :love You're going to be right at home here! Reminds me when I got my first computer and got bombarded with so many questions at work: what kind of computer, how much RAM, how many ROM, and things I don't even remember. When the furor died down and everyone was standing around me in a circle, eager faces expectantly awaiting answers, I stammered out: uh.. a white one.

Yeah, that was me. And I am not blond.
Ok with PCs I’m ok, my husband is in IT, so I just throw out words I’ve heard him say lol.
In chicken world not only do I have 0 knowledge of breeds but I can’t pronounce most of them. Like the Ayam Cemani- I call it Amy Camy. And the French ones?? Please, I give up.

That means it's a good example of what may happen when you make up a breed
:lau

A sort-of translation:

Who did you get these Xandidiidles from?

The same breed can be quite different, depending on who was raising them for the past few years (one person may breed from the prettiest birds, another from the ones that lay the most eggs, another wants the ones that grow fastest so they can be butchered for meat, and so forth.)

Questions about specific details of color and pattern on the feathers.

"Self-blue" is a relatively new color (within the last 50 years or so), and exists in only a limited number of breeds, which is why the next question is:

Fertile eggs are ones the person can put in an incubator and hatch, to have Xandidiidles for themselves.
Hey! I know what a fertilized egg is I have you know, Jeez!
Ok full disclosure I didn’t know chickens could lay eggs without a rooster until I was researching lol!

When I was a youngling I thought ducks were chickens! When someone ask me "What chickens do you have?" I said
" Waterproof Chicken. "
These chicken breeds are hard to remember too! My grandmother had ayam cemani chicken and I called it "Charcoal Chicken"
She had a lavender orpington I called it " Light gray chicken "
She had a real aggressive brahma rooster so I called it "Angry chicken."

Honestly, I would love to just see a regular name for a chicken, Like if we find another chicken I wanna call it after its color or feathers and that's it! The last thing I want to name a chicken is "Kwebbledippledop Cemani Extravangantion."

Hi, first time chicken owner, I’ve got 4 red sex link pullets, and 4 chicks.
Is there a chicken breed underground that I’m unaware of? Like the Free Masons of chickens??
Before I decided to get chickens, I read EVERYTHING I could about them. And yall chicken ppl blow my mind with ALL the breeds and knowledge about them. Not just in this community. I went to the feed store just to buy another feeder. Ol man comes over “oh you got some me chickens huh. Well you need some bebop’s and floofloos, and maybe cross you some yummytums and plickados”. At one point I don’t think he was speaking English anymore. “What kind of chickens you got”? I was dumbfounded I said “mine are red”. I felt so.. ignorant. Seriously where/how do y'all learn about all these breeds? And why is it important? I feel like I’m missing something here. I want to be in the chicken know!
We only raise silkies so you could throw up a picture of a breed and if it's red, I'd say it's a RRI, if speckled, I'd say Speckled Sussex. I'd maybe be right, but there are many other possibilities so chances are I'm wrong. That's about all I know about other breeds. :D

Good post! And belated welcome to BYC.

I have had chickens for about 5 years now and I started out thinking I would learn all about breeds but I have given up.
My classification is very simple:
- Pretty chicken
- Very pretty chicken
- Cute baby chicken
I find that covers most of them!

Over time I have learned a few more specifics - like Polish chickens wear fluffy hats, and Easter Egger is a fancy title for a mutt.

I love my chickens and really don't care what breed they are.
I like the way you think! Not to brag but I have more specific details than that. Spotted chicken, solid chicken, stripy chicken. Oh and I’m so proud of this one- bantam chicken. lol

Back
Top Bottom