What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
Oh wait! I think I’m getting it. So like dog breeds- you can breed different dogs like the labradoodle. Chickens are like that? I only have rescued mutts, maybe that’s why Im so confused.
Yes, some chickens are like that.
And just like the dogs, the mixed chickens are given quite a variety of names.

For example, there is one general kind that can be called Red Sexlinks (females are red, their brothers are a different color.) They get sold as ISA Brown, and Golden Comet, and Red Star, and about ten other names.

Yeah, pretty much. Although I've never heard anyone mix the names of the breeds like breeders looking to make money do with dogs. A leghorn and Australorp mix is just that...a mix
I grant the names don't get mixed very much, unlike dog breeds, but hatcheries do keep making up names for new mixes, and they can get really hard to keep track of.

I know what Red Sexlinks are (red female chickens, with their brothers being a different color, so you can tell from the time they hatch.) But I get confused when they also appear as Red Stars and ISA Browns and Golden Comets (but not Production Reds because those are not color sexable, and not Starlight Green Eggers because those lay green eggs while the other ones lay brown eggs.)

Sapphire Gems and Blue Stars have blue feathers and lay brown eggs, while Prairie Bluebell Eggers have any color feathers but are supposed to lay blue eggs. :barnie

Actually, "Australorp" is almost an example of a combined name: descended from Opringtons in Australia.

I know what Red Sexlinks are (red female chickens, with their brothers being a different color, so you can tell from the time they hatch.) But I get confused when they also appear as Red Stars and ISA Browns and Golden Comets (but not Production Reds because those are not color sexable,
Ohhhh that’s why when I said (at some point) I have red sexlinks and the woman said yeah golden comets are some good chickens. I wondered why she just started talking about a random chicken lol. She also said they didn’t live long and one day I’d go out and they’d all be dead… I cant tell you how much my children loved hearing that.

Yes, some chickens are like that.
And just like the dogs, the mixed chickens are given quite a variety of names.

For example, there is one general kind that can be called Red Sexlinks (females are red, their brothers are a different color.) They get sold as ISA Brown, and Golden Comet, and Red Star, and about ten other names.

I grant the names don't get mixed very much, unlike dog breeds, but hatcheries do keep making up names for new mixes, and they can get really hard to keep track of.

I know what Red Sexlinks are (red female chickens, with their brothers being a different color, so you can tell from the time they hatch.) But I get confused when they also appear as Red Stars and ISA Browns and Golden Comets (but not Production Reds because those are not color sexable, and not Starlight Green Eggers because those lay green eggs while the other ones lay brown eggs.)

Sapphire Gems and Blue Stars have blue feathers and lay brown eggs, while Prairie Bluebell Eggers have any color feathers but are supposed to lay blue eggs. :barnie

Actually, "Australorp" is almost an example of a combined name: descended from Opringtons in Australia.

I agree, it can very confusing. That's why I'm all for calling mix breeds "mixes". For sale purposes, sating what the mix is should be the standard procedure; "mystic onyx" doesn't help anyone. I actually wasn't too familiar with Red Sex Links before BYC. The only name used here is "ISA brown". So when I came to BYC, it took some time to realise that the ISA browns that I've been raising for quite a few years were the same as the RSLs.

Didn't know that about australorps! Learned two new things today, I'd say that's good

Ohhhh that’s why when I said (at some point) I have red sexlinks and the woman said yeah golden comets are some good chickens. I wondered why she just started talking about a random chicken lol. She also said they didn’t live long and one day I’d go out and they’d all be dead… I cant tell you how much my children loved hearing that.

She was being a bit dramatic...They do have shorter life spans (most of the time) due to reproductive issues, but it's not quite as sudden. I will say that my last batches died earlier than my starter ISA browns (it's a habit, sorry) did

I agree, it can very confusing. That's why I'm all for calling mix breeds "mixes". For sale purposes, sating what the mix is should be the standard procedure; "mystic onyx" doesn't help anyone. I actually wasn't too familiar with Red Sex Links before BYC. The only name used here is "ISA brown". So when I came to BYC, it took some time to realise that the ISA browns that I've been raising for quite a few years were the same as the RSLs.

Didn't know that about australorps! Learned two new things today, I'd say that's good
Right?! My bantam frizzles were labeled assorted mix. That’s fine, but mixed with what? I mean what COULD they be? Just narrow it down a bit. Of course I now know Cochin. Look at me learning breeds!

She was being a bit dramatic...They do have shorter life spans (most of the time) due to reproductive issues, but it's not quite as sudden. I will say that my last batches died earlier than my starter ISA browns (it's a habit, sorry) did

@z3lda3

I can’t tell you how much I needed this thread, at this time. I lost my favorite chicken suddenly Tuesday night at only 3 years old. So thank you for having the best BYC ever, it’s a real pleasure to meet you 🙂
I am so sorry, truly. I hope you felt better as least for a little bit. Very nice to meet you as well @tlcmurphy

Back
Top Bottom