What age do you thin out your roosters?

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
I have raised 2 "flocks" of chicks, I'm currently on number 3. Each time, I've waited FAR too long to get rid of roosters (in fact, I made a bachelor pad for some I couldn't stand to see go!) I think this go round I have at least 4 out of 10. šŸ˜„

What age do you cull your roos? Do you do it as soon as you know? Or do you wait to see who is going to be your best bet?

Here are some pictures of my beautiful roosters! I currently have 5, but will be down to 4 after this week. šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

Attachments

• IMG_20210714_195154_714.jpg
    IMG_20210714_195154_714.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220312_072928_936.jpg
    IMG_20220312_072928_936.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220424_184920.jpg
    20220424_184920.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220421_072140.jpg
    20220421_072140.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220312_071948.jpg
    20220312_071948.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 6
Those are handsome boys! I know how hard it can be to choose a keeper...or send some to freezer camp.

I raise primarily dual purpose breeds that reach a good table weight at about 5 months, so that's my target timeframe for processing. Depending on space constraints and other factors, sometimes it's 4 months and others stick around for 8 months.

The grow-out timeframe also allows me ample time to observe the roosters' behavior and development, informing the selection of replacement roosters (as needed).

Another option is to rehome, especially with rare breeds or unusual coloring. Am guessing you've already considered this one. šŸ™‚

I give them until hormones (usually. Polite males are usually kept past then)start up before I start culling. Then I go by aggression first usually. The meaner the bird is to me or other birds, (looking at you, frizzled butthole), the faster they end up in the freezer.

However from the moment I know they're boys, I try to find them homes up until I just can't justify it.

Those are handsome boys! I know how hard it can be to choose a keeper...or send some to freezer camp.

I raise primarily dual purpose breeds that reach a good table weight at about 5 months, so that's my target timeframe for processing. Depending on space constraints and other factors, sometimes it's 4 months and others stick around for 8 months.

The grow-out timeframe also allows me ample time to observe the roosters' behavior and development, informing the selection of replacement roosters (as needed).

Another option is to rehome, especially with rare breeds or unusual coloring. Am guessing you've already considered this one. šŸ™‚
I have bantams, so not that I *couldn't* eat them.. it's just a lot of work for a chicken nugget! šŸ˜… I would love to keep some of my other breeds now that I'm throwing some in to the mix, but I just don't have the room.. I'd love to have a few separate flocks, but I don't know how well free range time would go with all of them being kept separately. I guess time will tell! lol

I have bantams, so not that I *couldn't* eat them.. it's just a lot of work for a chicken nugget! šŸ˜… I would love to keep some of my other breeds now that I'm throwing some in to the mix, but I just don't have the room.. I'd love to have a few separate flocks, but I don't know how well free range time would go with all of them being kept separately. I guess time will tell! lol
Have you considered just breasting the bantams out? Still a lot of work, but you don't needn't pluck or skin or gut.

I give them until hormones (usually. Polite males are usually kept past then)start up before I start culling. Then I go by aggression first usually. The meaner the bird is to me or other birds, (looking at you, frizzled butthole), the faster they end up in the freezer.

However from the moment I know they're boys, I try to find them homes up until I just can't justify it.
Not the frizzle! šŸ˜…

I have a few that have been ridiculously rude. However, I have a Barred Rock that ALWAYS tries to challenge me inside the run.. but outside he comes up to me & begs for treats!

I think I will wait a bit before deciding on these babies. I'm just nervous because a few are silkies & the other little roos are starting to be mean. šŸ˜• I don't need anyone to get hurt!

Have you considered just breasting the bantams out? Still a lot of work, but you don't needn't pluck or skin or gut.
I guess I haven't. šŸ¤” I've never dressed a chicken before.. let alone any type of bird! Do you just work the breast area & toss the rest?

I guess I haven't. šŸ¤” I've never dressed a chicken before.. let alone any type of bird! Do you just work the breast area & toss the rest?
Yep. They're still Itty bitty things, but one bird winds up a nice meal if you don't eat a ton of meat. My grandmother loves when I have extra boys cause she only eats one or two max a night and then she doesn't have left overs

I used to have that dilemma in having to grow them out to see what sex they were, but now I'm doing the auto sexed at hatch, so I'll be able to separate them at hatch into separate brooder's right away. The girl's won't have to put up with a bunch of boy's hogging the feed or being mean to them.

Back
Top Bottom