What are the best layers for Georgia Climate?

edman

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
What are the best layers for Georgia Climate?

I think we would prefer large brown eggs, but most important would be a calm QUIET breed that wouldn't disturb the neighbors too much.

Also minimum management would be a plus as we both work.

We are west of Atlanta area.

I like the look of the Rhode Island, Barbed Rock, Sex-Linked the most, but it's not the most important feature.

Any Suggestions.

I live at the middle N. part of Ga. right at the NC line. Barred Rock and Buff Orpington are probably both good, generally quite breeds, but I do have one BR girl that cackles like a maniac when she just sees someone in a nest, LOL. It's an individual thing within the breed. I have one Silver Laced Wyandotte that is quiet as a mouse all the time and one that's a loudmouth. Both my Buff Orps are fairly quiet, but one will raise a ruckus if she sees anything she doesn't like, such as the rabbit she saw in the yard about an hour ago. I'd just say do NOT get a Rhode Island Red since most people I know say theirs are just as loud as mine are. The Orps will suffer a tad more in the extreme heat and humidity, but not really that much more than a Barred Rock.

Can't comment much on the black/red/gold sexlinks since I do not own any of those. People say they like them and if you like the looks and dont mind a hybrid chicken, then they do lay large brown eggs. I have no idea how quiet they are. They do tend to be smaller in size than the purebreds you mentioned.

The minimum management thing is really what you make it. If you set your coop, waterers, feeders up right, you won't need to do an awful lot during the day anyway. You will need a predator proof coop and run for them. Even in the city areas, there are raccoons and possums. And definitely roaming dogs.

Last edited:
I live in middle Georgia and have both Cochins and Dark Brahmas. The cochins can make a lot of noise after they lay, but the Brahmas are very quiet. Mine lay nice size eggs with a few that are double yolk. They are pretty good layers and very friendly.

Georgia

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I will be starting with the Buff O's. After a bit I will try some of the others.

I ordered 3 Males and the rest Females.

This should be interesting!

Back
Top Bottom