What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Happy Thanksgiving!
IMG_1086.jpeg

Made a pumpkin and a cherry pie last night for Thanksgiving, The pumpkin made it whole, today...
View attachment 3689915
The cherry did not...
View attachment 3689916
Wow those look great and look at that flake on your cherry pie crust! Awesome!

I managed to keep my husband out of the apple pie I made yesterday. The turkey shaped iced sugar cookies didn't survive.
I just got the turkey in the oven. Yesterday, I got the pies made, rolls done and green bean casserole ready to go in the oven.
We watched part of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this morning. Sure looked windy there.
Now I get to relax and knit in front of the TV for a couple hours!

I have a great crust recipe I can walk you through...
1 cup shortening
2 cups flour
use a pastry cutter to cut the shortening into pea sized bits. DO NOT mix in at this point. There will be a lot of flour left in the bowl. You do not want to over mix crust. Once flour is in pea sized bits, get a big spoon and spoon in dabs of water along the edges and lightly mix the left over flour into the dough and mix more water as you go to collect the until the dough has all stuck together in a flour dough ball, that is not sticky. You can start to make dough balls even before all the flour is attached. I make 2 dough balls (don't over mix, just mix, or over knead the dough, enough so that it is a ball, it is not cookies and not bread!) Then I take the 2 and divide those in 1/2 on a floured board or counter. I roll out pretty thin. if it dough sticks to rolling pin add more flour to top and bottom of dough. The dough should stay together quite well and when it is rolled out fold into 1/4ths and place in pie dish. I use this same dough for pies and pasties, you can put pasties in a pie dish, or make small pies. I bake at 400 I check on it at 40 min. Look for the brown edges.

Practice makes perfect, and if it doesn't come out the first time, don't give up.

Dough for turkey dumpling soup

Make your turkey dumpling soup,
dumplings last 20 min before serving.

4 eggs-use those eggs
1/4 milk
1 cup flour- to start with see below
1/4 t salt, if you like or just salt the soup

Mix together, this will be tacky. Dumplings are not like the pie recipe above they are supposed to be tacky, but not liquid. I would mix the above recipe, and after I probably add another 1/4-1/2 flour to the mix. Dip a table spoon in the soup so the dumpling will not stick to the spoon, grab a mounded but not crazy big, tablespoon of mix in the spoon, if it spills off the spoon, it is not tacky doughy enough, it will still stick to the spoon, but put the spoon full of dumpling into the center of just boiling, (not crazy boiling soup.) Keep adding dumplings into the center of the boiling soup, the dumplings with quickly puff up and turn into a dumpling. If they Break up a bit add more flour, cook uncovered. Ready to eat in 10-20 min. Dumplings even last for leftover soup. This makes enough for a large sauce pan/soup pan of turkey soup.

These dumplings are golden, chewy, and NOT buscuit-y.
dumpling.PNG

My DH made this using my recipe.

Last edited:
We just got back from visiting our son and his family, for an early Thanksgiving in Bozeman MT. We came over 5 mountain passes, and all was clear of snow!
View attachment 3686499
My son's MIL had chickens and I got to bring home hatching eggs.
I got to see my granddaughter.
View attachment 3686500

Now for the week we are dog sitting for friends who watched our dog for us last May, when my husband and I went to LV.
Their dog was in my house 10 min. and already found a ball under our bed.
View attachment 3686505
Wait, you travel for Thanksgiving and get to bring home hatching eggs!?!?!?!??! That's awesome!!!

We traveled to the in laws and now I'm recovering from a collard sammich coma on the couch watching a Christmas movie 🤣

Back
Top Bottom