What are your thoughts on Greenfire Farms?

Pics
I bought from there in hopes of making my chicks worth something and to bring nice birds, at a reasonable price to the area. I'm frankly sick of people freaking out that I charge 3 dollars for a chick.
Three dollars a chick is a great price anywhere. It's great that you're doing that. I see people trying to sell Greenfire breeds here for 30 dollars a chick, and that is unsexed. I just can't go there. Guess I'm cheap! :D

I just purchased 12 American Bresse chicks from Greenfire.

I'll probably get another dozen next Spring.

I love the birds and dont regret getting them. They sent 14 and I have 13. One passed day after shipment but the rest did great.

Way better deal than trying to get them shipped from France lol

In the end these birds dont get nearly as big or grow as fast as the New Hampshires I got from freedom Ranger Ranch. My new Hampshires are 3 months younger than my American Bresse and outsize them considerably.

I'll be doing a taste test soon but think I already know what I need to know.

They have some I really want, like the Ayam Ketwa, but they don't ship to my zipcode since it's a dry ice route (whatever that means, even my post office didn't know).

If happily pay their asking price for that breed because I can't find anywhere else selling chicks. I have found ONE eBay add for 3 hatching eggs.
I know this is an old post but if anyone is still wondering, being in a confined space with dry ice gassing off is very dangerous to birds and other animals. For that reason, dry ice shipments are confined to a few routes and USPS won't accept animals for shipping on those routes.

I know this is an old post but if anyone is still wondering, being in a confined space with dry ice gassing off is very dangerous to birds and other animals. For that reason, dry ice shipments are confined to a few routes and USPS won't accept animals for shipping on those routes.
Yeah, I found out later on (thanks for bringing this back to my feed) that if both arrive at a point, the ice goes first and they have to wait for the next truck for animals

I personally feel that GF has a lot of fake breeds but they do have quality.
I feel exactly opposite. They seem to usually bring in very marginal or mediocre (at best) stock of real breeds and landraces from around the world. I'm sure they're limited by breeders that are willing to work with the difficult exportation process so I won't be too hard on them on that. When they get the stock back to the US, they need to recoup their considerable costs, I'm sure, so they immediately build their flocks up as much as possible and blitz the market with whatever mediocre offspring results.

That's the nature of the beast with GFF. I get it, I understand it, but they are a HATCHERY with generally very mediocre flock bred stock of breeds that are not (at first) otherwise available in the US.

I wouldn't expect anything half-way good to be available from GFF imports for five years at best after they first become available, personally, and that's just if you happen to find a good breeder that took an interest, did a lot of selective breeding, and then shared their stock with others.

Last edited:
They have some I really want, like the Ayam Ketwa, but they don't ship to my zipcode since it's a dry ice route (whatever that means, even my post office didn't know).

If happily pay their asking price for that breed because I can't find anywhere else selling chicks. I have found ONE eBay add for 3 hatching eggs.
Still looking for laughing chickens?

Back
Top Bottom